DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.
9901235

my car overheats after driving it for 5-10 minutes, I already

Customer Question

my car overheats after driving it for 5-10 minutes, I already replaced the thermostat and see no leaking of fluid. I have a 2003 mitsubishi montero xls. Radiator is hot in all places and both hoses seem to be normal
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

First check and make sure the cooling fan is operating properly. Then next check the radiator for hot spots to see if it may be clogged. It is best to check it with an infared thermometer. Check the temp of it from bottom to top and it should get cooler on the way up if you have any excessively hot spots then it is clogged. Also make sure all of the air is purged out of the coolant system.

Edited by DBranch on 6/22/2010 at 4:34 PM EST