Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

mechanics..steering column..manual transmission..acceleration backs…

Customer Question
In repairing my ignition switch...
In repairing my ignition switch, the mechanics took apart the steering column. Now the engine continually races particularly when I am trying to shift into first, second and third (manual transmission). I can prevent the surge during shifting if I wait until the acceleration backs off a hair, then shift. What is causing the acceleration.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/21/2010
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Is the check engine light on?
No engine light on. Its almost like the car is trying to go into cruise control. It surges even with my foot off the accelerator. The surge lasts two to three seconds, the acceleration backs off, I can shift with no problem and no slippage.
Ok sounds like a vacuum leak issue . Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Have not checked for vacuum leaks. Have heard of cars losing power due to vacuum leaks but never excessive acceleration. How and where could a vacuum leak cause a car to accelerate? It does not lose power once I shift into the next gear.
Check the vacuum lines and the intake manifold gaskets these are common on these trucks.
Just to let you know, the problem was something melted in the accelerator line and the line itself was dirty so it wasn't allowing the accelerator to devaccum (not a very scientific explanation but it was fixed months ago so I can't remember the exact wording).
Auto Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
So the throttle body itself was bad was this what was replaced ?

Nothing was replaced. It was a tube (hose?) that ran over the top of the area where the clutch master is located on the left side of the engine (looking from the driver seat). It had a seal that had melted. This had gotten inside the tube so the mechanic cleaned out the tube then sprayed the hell out of it with some kind of cleaner like WD-40. He said the seal was not needed for the part to function. I can't find the receipt or I'd be more specific.

Ok it is fixed though correct just want to be sure.
I have had no problems with it since the repair. The mechanic has been around for 30 years and is well-respected in the community.
Excellent just glad it's fixed.