Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1996 Mitsubishi eclipse: accidentally put..quarts..driven..blue smoke…

Customer Question
I accidentally put too much...
I accidentally put too much oil in 1996 Mitsubishi eclipse (3 quarts). It was driven for about 5 minutes had lots of white/blue smoke. I removed all the oil and put the proper amount in. Now it has NO smoke until its been running for 8-10 minutes, then it starts smoking. Could this just be oil burning off when the exhaust is hot? Will it go away? I verified coolant and oil colors and levels, and everything looks OK.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2010
Auto Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ron :

Hello

Customer:

Hi Ron

Ron :

Yes its most likely still burning off from the over fil and I would run it for a while and it will most likely clear up.

Ron :

Yes its most likely still burning off from the over fill and I would run it for a while and it will most likely clear up.

Customer:

So I don't need to clean anything else up? Thanks

Ron :

No if the oil level is correct, the best thing to do now is run it and allow it to burn off. You should be fine.

Customer:

thank you.

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Thank you very much.