Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Flex pipe and inspected cat for blockage, none found..van..tail…

Customer Question
u asked me if the...
u asked me if the vans runs poor, yes as i sttd in my 1st question, i also 4got 2 tell u i did comp chk all clys at 180 lbs, removed flex pipe and inspected cat for blockage, none found. the van appears to have good exh flow at tail pipe
i dont know any other way to respond to u because when i reply this web site puts me through a new question steps, i already paid, its asking me to pay again. why?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/15/2010
Auto Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Ok, you made a deposit, you don't pay until you hit the accept button.

As for the van, where I would like to have you start is to spray carb cleaner around the intake and all vacuum hoses.If the idle increases then you have a vacuum leak. Pay close attention to the area where the pcv valve is. These have a tendency to leak vacuum there and cause the problem. You should be able to respond to this post without jumping through hoops. Give this test a try and let me know!

tried that, no change
Ok, try this, unplug the mass air flow sensor and start the van. See if the idle smooths out when this is done. It won't be able to run on high speed or higher rpms, but I would like to know if it runs smoother. Let me know
no change, alt lite comes on when maf disconected

This is a fun one isn't it?

Ok, with the engine running, pull the plug wires one at a time until you find the ones that don't affect the way it is running. Pull it, then if it is running rougher, plug it back in and pull the next, lets see if we can determine which ones are the problem. Let me know!

i ashamed of myself on this, #3 & #4 no spark at coilpack, new coil pack, same #3 & #4 no fire (had a new coil pack here i tried b4 with no change)

ok, this may help.

Check for power and ground to the coils. If they have power and ground, then you need to ohm the trigger wire to the ecm. If there is continuity, then replace the ecm as it is not sending signal to the coil to fire. If there is not continuity,then you have a couple of broken trigger wires.

CAN U TELL ME WHICH WIRES ARE THE ONES I NEED TO CHECK

You need to check the white/violet wire for power. White/pink then it changes to solid white going into the pcm on coil #4 and solid red into the pcm for coil #3. It starts out as orange/yellow on the coil and then there is a connector somewhere that turns to solid red. I suspect you may find the problem at this connector but I am not sure where it is located.

Pin #s on the ecm are pin 1 for the #4 coil and pin # XXXXX for #3

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
OK I HAVE 4 WIRES AT COIL,GREEN W/BLACK STRIPE,WHITE,RED,BLACK.WITH KEY OFF THEY ARE ALL GROUND,WITH KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING OR NOT THEY ALL HAVE POWER.SHOULD IT BE THAT WAY ?
No, they should not all show power. Ground typically comes from the pcm and that causes the coil to fire. I have to appologize,I was looking at the wrong wiring diagram.
Check the white wire for an open. In other words, find it on the pcm and check for continuity from the coil to the pcm. If there is no break in the wire, replace the pcm.
Thanks for the accept and again,I am sorry I was looking at the wrong diagram!!
THATS OK DO U KNOW WHAT PIN IT IS ON THE PCM AND DO I DISCONNECT WIRES FROM COIL AND PCM TO CHECK
The white wire will turn to red before it goes into the pcm and it is pin# XXXXX You disconnect both the coil and the pcm harnesses. Then,what I do is put a wire into the pin on the white wire where it plugs into the coil,connect the other end to the positive battery cable. This makes that white wire hot. You can then check it with a test light on the pcm side of the harness. IF the light lights, then the wire is good. This means the pcm is no good. IF it doesn't then you know the wire is bad. If it does, then it is the pcm.
This will help as well. This is what the pcm harness connector looks like when you look into it after you remove the harness from the pcm.
I highlighted the pin it should be
graphic
OK SEEMS I HAVE A BAD COMPUTER . ONE MORE QUESTION FOR U DOES THIS COMPUTER HAVE TO BE FLASHED OR CAN I USE A USED ONE?
I am pretty sure it will have to be re flashed for the van. I know it will if the van has a chip key in it. I don't have clear enough info to be honest. You could give the dealer a call for a 100% answer on that one! Sorry!

your the best, XXXXX XXXXX i rate you? I cant say enough good about you!

I'm embarassed to say I own a used car lot and we had extreme difficulty diag this problem, too many hands in the pot. we all thought the other did the basic (chk the coil wires) you slowed us down went through the steps and we (u included) found the source of the problem. You took a major weight off my shoulders.

thank you

Woody A Batts

Car Mart llc

Baltimore, MD

You are very welcome and thanks for the compliment! I think you can leave feedback after you accept,but since you did that already I am not sure :)
I take it the van is running ok now?
yes it is..... ty
Excellent! No need to reply,just wanted to be sure!