Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

hyundai tiburon gt hard to start and surging

Customer Question

Hyundai Tiburon gt V6 hard to start and surging. The plugs are new. Timing belt is new, timing is fine. Compression is normal. it turns over a very long time before starting
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

You need to check the onboard diagnostic system for trouble codes, and make sure the basics are in order, like air and fuel filters, and check the fuel pressure. Also check all the fuses. You said the plugs are new were the old ones dark or black, if so that is a sign that the vehicle is running to rich. A massive vacuum leak could be the problem too, so be sure to check for that. If there are no codes and all the mentioned items are in order then you will have to start checking sensors, and inspecting the vehicles wiring. Without codes problems like this can be tough to find. Also when any one tells me a timing belt is new and says the timing is fine, I always reply recheck the cam timing, and check the wiring in the area that was apart to install the new timing belt. This is because problems like this just after a timing belt installation, are often caused by the wiring in the area, or the timing being out of time. Think of it this way, diagnostics are a process of elimination, checking these things out eliminates them from being a possibility. These systems can be tough to diagnose, so leave no stone unturned so to speak. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was looking for something that might be specific to my particular model. i.e. That model has a history of the in tank fuel sock clogging. I am aware of the generic routene way to troubleshoot a problem. Thanks though.