Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Drove..Parked..it again, the starter did not even try to crank…

Customer Question
I drove the car. Parked...
I drove the car. Parked it for about 10 mimutes. When I tried to start it again, the starter did not even try to crank. Power is there. Everyting (lights, GPS, radio etc.) is working). Any idea ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Auto Mechanic: Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Hi, there are two things you can try to get you going. First would be to try getting a battery boost. You can have just enough power in the battery for you lights and accessories to operate,but not enough to crank the engine over. The other thing you can try is to tap on the stater motor housing with a small hammer or you lug wrench as a helper attempts to crank the engine over, this will many times get a starter that is failing to spin.

Hi Jerry,

It was none of the proposed issues. Acyually I did know it's npt the battery, since the car was running until 5 minutes before and I just stopped for a few minutes and it did not start again.

Next day my wife drove me back to the car and I was equipped with:

- a fuse for slot 40a

- 5 gallons gas (since somebody told me the gas gauge sometimes gives a wrong signal and the car does not start)

- a jump-start cable (just in case)

- and a hammer, as you proposed.

When I arrived at the car I wanted to sequentially try all the different things and always test, if the car would start again. I went into the car, put the key in and turned it and the car started immediatly without any problem, as there would have been never any problem.

I'll never know what it really was, but it was not the battery and not the starter.

Best Regards,

H.

Hi, if the engine didn't crank or spin over, running low on gas would not be the cause. If it wouldn't crank over after it had been run, then parked, but did crank over when allowed to cool, the most likely problem is the starter. It is a very common problem, if it happens again, replace the starter motor. Good luck, regards jerry.