Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2001 Saab 9-3 SE: occasionally..trip..lights come on, etc...Neutral…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Saab...
I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE that occasionally, after taking a small trip will not start. All lights come on, etc. I try swapping to Neutral with no luck. I have replaced the battery and the Direct Ignition Cassette, still get the issue. If the car is cold, or been driven for a while the issue will not occur. It's a like a relay gets stuck when the car is a little warm, but not hot or cold. It will always crank over after 20-40 minutes of waiting.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/9/2010
Auto Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer replied 8 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

Some times when a starter is about to fail it becomes difficult for it to operate when the engine is hot. On the starter itself there is a large wire, and a much smaller wire. The small wire is the trigger wire that triggers the starter into action, and causes it to crank the engine. What you need to do is to check and see if there is a 12 volt signal present at the trigger wire when there is a hot no start condition. Most of the times it is best to attach a test wire onto the trigger wire, and route it to where it is easy to get to when the engine is hot. When a no start condition occurs, check the trigger wire to see if 12 volts is present when you try to crank the engine. If there is power present at the trigger wire then the starter is going bad and needs to be replaced. If there is no power present then the problem is in the vehicles wiring. If this is the case then you should get an electrical schematic, to allow you to trace the wires and check function during the malfunction. Odds are the problem is the starter. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.