Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Alero: intermitent..ran good..crank sensor then the passlock on ign…

Customer Question
Sean; the alero is still...
Sean; the alero is still giving me the same intermitent starting problem.It ran good for about a week then went back to not starting.I changed crank sensor then the passlock on ign. Switch. Where doUI go from here?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/8/2010
Auto Mechanic: Car expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

When you cranking it over try springs starting fluid into the air intake and tell me if the engine starts momentarily . But that does that means we have good spark and we need to find the injection problem

engine starts then dies after burning fluid.-   injecters are pulsing...

The injectors are pulsing you have 12 volts to one side of the injectors and negative pulsing ground on the other side of the injectors ?

If this is true then we need to checked and see what the fuel pressure is while cranking . If the fuel pressure is good than we need to remove the injectors while keeping them attached to the fuel rail , crank the engine and see if each injector is spraying fuel properly

no voltage going to fuel pump........no pressure give me the procedure for the security system reprograming.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes

if the fuel pump is not running it usually not a security issue ,but you can try it

I did the procedure as described from memory while I was waiting for you to reply ,(you told me last time) .the fuel pump began working and car started .fyi the GM dealer parts guy told me that this entire problem was caused by the passlock system which is a common problem...it is the fist thing I should have done. I would have saved 800 dollars
yes its very common but there must be an underlieing reason the pcm keeps loosing the programming . you replaced the lock cylinder already , maybe theres a fault in the pcm
pcm was replaced too
If if you've already replace the ignition pass lock cylinder then we need to checked the wiring very carefully between the lock cylinder and the PCM
its running fine so im quitting foer now

ok thank you