Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1998 oldsmobile intrigue: it is an intermittent problem. it will a…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 oldsmobile...
I have a 1998 oldsmobile intrigue that refuses to start. it is an intermittent problem. it will a happen a few times with in a couple days and then there will be a few months before the next episode. the way we solve the problem is by leaving the key in the on position for about 7-10 minutes or until the security light stops flashing. once the security light stops flashing we then turn the key off and then start the car. any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it. i think that it has been happening for the last year and a half to two years.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
6/7/2010
Auto Mechanic: Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

the lock cylinder sends a signal to the theft system

the most common failure is the key/lock cylinder.

you will need to replace the cylinder perform the 10 minute relearn one final time to learn the new cylinder and you will be all set

let me know if you need more help

thanks

Paul

Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech