Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

98 blazer 4.3 miss fire #3cyl.at idle, raise rpm to 1800 stops

Customer Question
missfiring,raise rpm to 2200 starts...
98 blazer 4.3 miss fire #3cyl.at idle, raise rpm to 1800 stops missfiring,raise rpm to 2200 starts missing on #4 cyl.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
6/5/2010
Auto Mechanic: Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic

HelloCustomerThere have been many problems with the injector systems on your model vehicle with vortec engines. Here are a couple of the service bulletins that cover that. They would need to either be cleaned with a special cleaner, (the dealer would be the best one to do that)since they have the proper equipment to clean using high pressure .

The best fix,although more expensive would be to convert the system to the new injector style.

Fuel System - MIL ON/Rough Idle on Start-Up
Notes

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-04-003B

Date: February, 2003

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Rough Idle After Start, And/Or A Service Engine Soon (SES) Light
(Unstick And Clean Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI) Poppet
Valves or Convert to MFI)

Models:
1995-2002 Chevrolet and GMC S/T Models
1996-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, M/L, G, P Models
1996-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
with 4.3L, 5.0L or 5.7L Engine (VINS W, X, M, R - RPOs L35, LF6, L30, L31)
Except 2002 VIN X - RPO LU3 Models

This bulletin is being revised to update the Warranty Information. Please discard previous copies of Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-04-003B with warranty chart (Section 06 - Engine). This copy is for Dealers in the state of CALIFORNIA ONLY.

Condition

Some customers may comment on rough idle after start-up, especially if the vehicle has sat overnight. These symptoms may be intermittent. The Service Engine Soon (SES) light may also be illuminated. Current misfire or history misfire codes may be detected with the Tech 2 scan tool.

Cause

A deposit build-up on the CSFI poppet valve ball and/or seat may cause the poppet ball to stick open or closed. In either case, the specific cylinder will be mis-fueled, resulting in a cylinder mis-fire condition.

Correction

A new injector unsticking and cleaning process has proven to be effective in restoring poppet valves to an "as new" condition. CSFI injector replacement should NOT be considered as a correction for this customer concern.

Check the vehicle history to determine if the vehicle is returning for a second fuel system repair for this condition. If the fuel system has been repaired for this condition previously, then inform the customer that an alternate fix is available. A new MFI fuel system has been developed that will back service the CSFI fuel system. The MFI fuel system eliminates the CSFI poppet valve ball and seat. The CSFI fuel system will need to be replaced as a unit. Refer to Central SFI to MFI Conversion instructions in this bulletin.

Notice : Individual CSFI injectors can not be replaced with MFI injectors. The entire CSFI fuel meter body will need to be replaced. The bracket used to retain the injectors in the fuel meter body is different between the CSFI and MFI unit. The unit may not seal if you mix injectors. Severe engine damage could result.

Cleaning the CSFI injectors is the preferred repair. The CSFI unit should not be replaced until cleaning has been attempted. If the vehicle should return for the same repair, then the CSFI unit can be replaced with an MFI unit. If the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer should be given the option of which fix to pursue.

Important : "GM of Canada" dealers require District Service Manager approval prior to replacing the CSFI unit with a MFI unit under warranty.

The first step of this process is to use the J 41413 Evap Pressure/Purge Station, in conjunction with the J 44466-10 pressure regulator/hose assembly, to provide the required high pressure (150 psi) source to perform the unsticking procedure. The J 39021 fuel injector tester and accessories provide the means to "energize" the injector. Some later model-year vehicles may utilize the Tech 2(R) to "energize" the injectors.

The second step of this process is to run the engine on a solution of 10% Top Engine Cleaner and 90% gasoline. This will effectively clean any deposits from the ball and seats of the poppets. It is very important that the engine fuel system is separated from the vehicle fuel system. Top Engine Cleaner may have detrimental effects on the fuel pump.

Campaign - Fuel Injector Sticking Closed
Notes

File In Section: 06-Engine Emissions

Bulletin No.: 99066F

Date: March, 2003

SPECIAL POLICY

SUBJECT:
99066F - SPECIAL POLICY ADJUSTMENT - SEQUENTIAL CENTRAL PORT
FUEL INJECTION (SCPI) FAILURES IN CALIFORNIA ONLY (YF5
EMISSION EQUIPPED)

MODELS:
CERTAIN 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 S/T, M/L, C/K, G,
P, W4/NPR TRUCKS AND 2003 NPR TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH 4.3L
(RPO L35 - VIN CODE W OR RPO LF6 - VIN CODE X), 5.0L (RPO L30
- VIN CODE M) OR 5.7L (RPO L31 - VIN CODE R) ENGINE AND
CALIFORNIA EMISSION EQUIPPED (RPO YF5)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2002 and 2003 model years to the SCPI Special Policy on certain S/T, M/L, C/K, G, P and W4/NPR truck models. Please discard Special Policy Bulletin Number 99066E, dated February, 2003.

CONDITION

Some customers of 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 model year S/T, M/L, C/K, G, P, W4/NPR trucks and 2003 NPR trucks, that are registered in California, equipped with 4.3L (RPO L35 and VIN Code W, or RPO LF6 and VIN Code X), 5.0L (RPO L30 and VIN Code M) or 5.7L (RPO L31 and VIN Code R) engine, and California emissions (RPO YF5), may experience a "Service Engine Soon" light, misfire, rough idle or hard start due to a deposit build-up on the Sequential Central Port Fuel Injector (SCPI) poppet valve(s). The deposit build-up may cause injector poppets to stick closed. Certain fuels have been found to interact with the SCPI system to cause the deposits.

SPECIAL POLICY ADJUSTMENT

This special policy covers the SCPI failure condition described above for a period of ten (10) years or 200,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

The repairs will be made at no charge to the owner. This special policy applies ONLY to repairs requiring SCPI system servicing, injector cleaning and/or MFI assembly replacement of the SCPI system. The customer should not be charged for performing a system check when it is determined that the SCPI system is not the cause of a customer complaint (labor operation T5532 is provided to submit /laims for such system checks). Atepadditional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the SCPI condition are not covered by this special policy. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered by new vehicle warranty will not be covered by this policy.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 1996,1997,1998,1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 S/T, M/L, C/K, G, P, W4/NPR and 2003 NPR model vehicles, registered in California, equipped with 4.3L (RPO L35 - VIN Code W, or RPO LF6 - VIN Code X), 5.0L (RPO L30 - VIN Code M) or 5.7L (RPO L31 - VIN Code R) engine; and California emissions (RPO YF5). This Special Policy covers all vehicles within these model years, with these engine and emissions RPO's.

Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic