Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2003 Lincoln Navigator: sputters..hesitates..accelerating

Wondering why my 2003 Lincoln Navigator sputters and hesitates when accelerating; particularly when going uphill.
Chat Conversation Started
JAMIE :

The first thing that needs to be done is pull all the coils out and see if there is any mousture in thr spark plug tubes.

JAMIE :

If there is any mousture in the tubes this will cause a misfire.

JAMIE :

You will have 8 coils one for each spark plug.

JAMIE :

Did you have a chance to pull the coils and see if there is any mousture in the spark plug tubes?

Customer:

I have not been able to pull the coils off the spark plugs. Working 2 jobs finding the time to do so is difficult. However, I have looked at them to see where they are all located. I will need to remove the engine heat cover and possibly other components to get to the rear plugs. When I do so, I will respond. mahalo.

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Where you able to check the coils and plugs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hey Jamie,

I have checked all fluid levels, changed my air filter, am gonna change my oil, and have an appointment with my friend (also a mechanic). I could not check the coil and plugs. The plugs are not accessible to me. I would have to remove the windshield cowling to reach them. All issues point to the plugs. However, when I did change my fuel filter I noticed that the fuel emtied from the "IN" side poured out fuel that was "Black" in color. Should I be alarmed? I will release funds to you for all your help.

If the fuel that cam out of the fuel filter was black then you need to be very careful where you get your gas. You may need to pull the gas tank and have it cleaned out, as dirty fuel can damage the fuel pump. See if your friend can bring a fuel pressure tester with him to check the fuel pressure. If you only get gas at one place you need to change where you get your gas.I stopped up fuel filter can also be the cause of your problem as well as low fuel pressure or low fuel volume, so it is important that you check the fuel pressure and when you do leave the pressure gage connected and shut the engine off, see how fast the fuel pressure drops with the engine not running and let me know what the readings are please.