Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Metro: Geo..It has new brake pads and shoes

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Geo Metro. The car takes too long to stop. It has new brake pads and shoes. The rear brakes have been adjusted and the system bled. Checked Caliper action. I have owned the car for the last 7 years and the stopping power wasn't that great from the beginning (Got it at 19000 miles).
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

There are two things that can cause this, one is brake pads that are glazed over. This happens when the brakes are used hard, or if you are in a hilly area and have to use the brakes to much. The second possibility is for the brake booster to fail. If this happens the brake pedal will be the normal height, but when you push on the brakes the car will act like not much stopping power is getting to the wheels. This is a common failure, and if you have never experienced this, it can be hard to recognize. Odds are it is a bad booster. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Other than replacing the brake booster out of hand (the pads and shoes are not glazed over) is there a procedure to confirm that the booster is the issue? Thanks

Yes you can test the booster, remove and plug the vacuum line going to the booster. The part you need to plug is the vacuum hose coming from the engine, to prevent a huge vacuum leak. Use caution because without the booster you will have dramatically reduced braking power. The car will still stop, but you have to push down super hard on the brake to get good results. The only problem here is a booster can partially, or totally fail. So the test may not be totally conclusive. If you see no difference in braking power, or just a moderate decrease in braking power then you can condemn the brake booster. But if you have a huge decrease in power then the booster is probably still functioning. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks I will try this procedure tomorrow and reply with results.
Good luck with it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks