FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My 2002 xl7 makes an extremely loud noise..oil change..it ran fine

Customer Question

My 2002 XL7 makes an extremely loud noise and always sounds like it needs an oil change while driving - more standard noise than just the regular running of the engine. I was told by the mechanic that there is some kind of default in that year and model of the car and it is just standard. i actually had a used engine put in after the 1st one burned out /died and it ran fine for a short time and now the noise is back - please help!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER, does the noise increase with engine speed or with vehicle speed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not particularly - I am almost immune to it I dont notice more noise than usual while driving.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Do you hear the noise if the vehicle is stationary and you are just reving the engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I start the engine it is just loud w/o driving. Kind of reminds you of how a school bus woud sound while idling but not as loud.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Okay. THis is commonly from the timing chain on the vehicle. It is common for the timing chain tensioner to fail and make this noise.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about an oil detergent/ engine oil supplement - I have heard that with each oil change I should use that to help clear up the noise.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
If the chain tensioner is already bad then this will not help. It does not hurt to try though.