Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

94 Excel: I get it off the car

I am trying to change the disk on a 94 Excel - how do I get it off the car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
JAMIE :

Are you refering to the brake rotors?

Customer:

Yes - the disk rotor

JAMIE :

You do not need to pull the castel nut off to get the rotor off so put it back on. There are two bolts that hold the caliper braket on the spindel that have to be removed and then you have to pull the two screws that hold the rotor to the hub. You will need an impact hammer to get these screws out most of the time, but if you have a helper you can use a number 3 philips screw driver and have your helper hit the back of the hammer as you turn the screw driver to get them out " do not try to use a #2 or 1 philips as they will only strip the screws out". Then you may have to tap the flat part of the rotor where the wheel sits to get them to come loose from the hub.

JAMIE :

The two scews are on the flat part of the rotor where the wheel s sit.

Customer:

Sorry is the procedure different for a 95 excel? We have removed 4 bolts so the rotor is hanging clear but the hub in still onthe car and preventing the rotor coming off

JAMIE :

Did you pull the two screws off that hold the rotor to the hub?

Customer:

There are no screws in the rotor.

JAMIE :

Did you remove the caliper braket?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

its loose - apperently the hub needs to come off - I am relaying this to my son who is front of the car, he says the hub is an interference fit and needs to come off with a slide hammer. Would that be correct?

JAMIE :

I have a hub addapter for my slide hammer that I use to pull the hub out of the spindle.

JAMIE :

yes you have to use a puller to pull the hub out of the spindle.

Customer:

He says he will weld a nut to a plate that can be put on the hub and then use the slide hammer.

Customer:

ANyway thanks for your answers. We'll give it a bash - literally

JAMIE :

You are very welcome