Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

my land rover discovery when I turn it on it stays excelerated..driven

Customer Question
I have a problem with...
I have a problem with my land rover discovery when I turn it on it stays excelerated i try turn it back off then turning it back on but it still continues excelerated even after i have driven it for a while. what can this be.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
6/1/2010
Auto Mechanic: DBranch, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome to JA.

What year, model and engine size is this Rover?

You are saying it revs up when first started or does it do this all the time?

Is the check engine light on if so do you know the fault codes stored?

Let me know so I can help you. Thanks Daniel

DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
the landrover is a 1999 landrover discovery 4.0 engine and yes it those it all the time, no the engine light does not come on, only when i start the car and then it goes away with all the lights from the dashboard.and then they go off.

Sorry I sent that first response as an answer not an info request. Just to clarify it only idles high right at start up? How high does it idle up? Does it idle high any other time?

Discovery 1 or 2?

Not meaning to ask all the questions I just need a little more info. Let me know. Thanks

Edited by DBranch on 6/1/2010 at 2:45 AM EST
it idles up to 3
it idles up to 3 I am sorry i thought you have left it my first time here

Im sorry you had to leave me negative feedback for me accidentally sending the response as an answer instead of an info request.

What I would do is first clean the throttle body becasue it could be sticking and causing the high idle. Then I would make sure that the throttle cable isnt adjusted too tight. I am not sure if you have a series 1 or 2. But if it is a series 1 I would set the base idle. Technically you will have to hook it up to the LR diagnostic equipment to adjust it but you can do it by ear. Look at the top of the throttle body and you will see a little circular cap drill a hole in it and screw a screw in the hole that fits and use a pair of pliers to pull on the screw to pull the cap out. Using the right size allen adjust the idle screw adjust it to about 700 rpm. If it is a series 2 then you cant adjust the idle. On either one you will need to check for vaccum leaks use carb cleaner and spray down the hose and gaskets an if you hear it rev a little then that is where your leak is at. You issue could be either one of those things. Let me know what you find.

I am getting off line now if you need anything else respond and I will get back to you first thing in the morning. Thanks

DBranch
DBranch
DBranch, ASE Certified Technician