Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I am. changing both head gaskets on a 98 cad deville 4.6 northstar.

have done hundreads of head...
i am. changing both head gaskets on a 98 cad deville 4.6 northstar. have done hundreads of head jobs but this is first northstar could use help with any tips and defintely need 3 timing chain marks.
5/22/2010
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

this may help you some

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

4.6L Engine

NOTE Because of the bulk and complexity of the 4.6L engine, cylinder head removal may best be accomplished with the engine out of the vehicle. For this procedure it may be most economical to remove the entire powertrain and cradle out the bottom of the body and to utilize the cradle as an engine stand.

1. Remove the powertrain assembly.
  2. Remove the intake manifold, camshaft covers, harmonic balancer, front cover and oil pump.
  3. Remove the chain tensioner from the timing chain for the cylinder head being removed.
  4. Remove the cam sprockets from the head being removed. The timing chain remains in the chain case.
  5. Removing the timing chain guides. Access to the retaining screws is through the plugs at the front of the cylinder head.
  6. Remove the water crossover.
  7. Remove the exhaust manifold.
  8. Remove the cylinder head bolts.
  9. Remove the cylinder head and gasket.

WARNING With the camshafts remaining in the cylinder head some valves will be open at all times. Do not rest the cylinder head on a flat service with the cylinder face down, or valve damage will result.

To install:

1. Clean the gasket services and combustion chamber.

WARNING When cleaning aluminum gasket services, use only plastic or wood scrapers and/or an appropriate chemical dissolving agent to avoid damaging the sealing surfaces.

1. Using a new cylinder head gasket, install the cylinder head and the 10 M11 and 3 M6 head bolts. Lube the washer and the underside of the bolt head with engine oil prior to installation. Tighten the 10 M11 bolts in sequence to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) plus 90°, plus an additional 90°for a total of 180°. Tighten the 3 M6 bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
  2. Install the camshafts.
  3. Set the camshaft timing.
  4. Install the camshaft guide bolt access hole plugs in the cylinder heads. The plugs should be seated and snug.
  5. Install the intake manifold, camshaft covers, harmonic balancer, front cover and oil pump.
  6. Install the water crossover.
  7. Install the exhaust manifold.
  8. Install the powertrain assembly.

FIG : Cylinder head torque sequence-4.6L Northstar engine

image

4.6L Engine
Camshaft Primary Drive Chain

1. Remove the engine assembly and put it on an engine stand or remove the powertrain assembly.
  2. Remove the serpentine drive belt, idler pulley and belt tensioner, if not done previously.
  3. Remove the front cover and oil pump.
  4. Remove the cam covers.
  5. Remove the three timing chain tensioners.
  6. Remove the camshaft sprocket bolt from all four camshafts and remove the sprockets.
  7. Remove the secondary drive chains from around the intermediate shaft sprocket.
  8. Remove the one bolt holding the intermediate shaft sprocket and slide the gears and the primary drive chain off the crankshaft and intermediate shaft.

NOTE The intermediate shaft need not be removed unless wear is evident.

To install:

1. Retime the camshafts.
  2. Install the oil pump.
  3. Install the cam covers.
  4. Install the serpentine drive belt, idler pulley, and belt tensioner.
  5. Install the engine assembly or the powertrain assembly.

FIG : Primary timing chain-4.6L Northstar engine

image

Camshaft Secondary Drive Chain

1. Remove the front cover.
  2. Remove the left side cam covers.
  3. Remove the left side secondary chain tensioner.
  4. Remove the left side chain guide. Access the upper chain guide mounting bolt through the hole in the cylinder head covered with the plastic plug.
  5. Remove the left side cam sprocket bolts and sprockets.
  6. Remove the secondary drive chain.
  7. Repeat Steps 2 through 6 if the right side chain is being replaced.

To install:

1. Retime the camshafts.
  2. Install the front cover.
  3. Install the cam cover(s).

FIG : Secondary timing chain-4.6L Northstar engine

image

SETTING CAMSHAFT TIMING

4.6L Engine

Setting camshaft timing is necessary whenever the cam drive system has been disturbed such that the relationship between any chain and sprocket has been lost. Correct timing exist when the crank sprocket and the intermediate shaft sprocket have their timing marks aligned and allXXXXXpins are perpendicular (90°) to the cylinder head surface.

1. To allow access the following components must be removed:
    1. Both cam covers.
    2. Front cover
    3. The three chain tensioners. The tensioners may be in their installed positions but must be fully retracted.
    4. The oil pump.

2. The primary and secondary chain guides should be reinstalled if previously removed.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft until the sprocket drive key is at approximately the 1 o'clock position. Use J 39946 to rotate the crankshaft.
  4. Install the crankshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets to the primary drive chain with their timing marks adjacent to each other.
  5. Install the crank and intermediate sprockets over their respective shafts.
  6. Rotate the crankshaft as necessary to engage the crankshaft key in the sprocket without changing the relationship of the timing marks to each other. Use J 39946 to rotate the crankshaft.
  7. Install the intermediate sprocket retainer bolt and tighten to 45 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
  8. Install the primary chain tensioner or release tensioner shoe. Tighten the two tensioner mounting bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  9. Install flywheel holder J 39411 to lock the crankshaft in this position. If the engine is on a stand, an alternate method should be devised.
  10. Route the secondary drive chain for the right side cylinder head over the inner row of the intermediate shaft teeth.
  11. Route the secondary drive chain over the chain guide and install the exhaust cam sprocket to the chain such that the camshaft drive pin engages the sprocket notch RE (right head exhaust). There should be no slack in the lower section of the chain and the cam drive pin must be perpendicular to the cylinder head face.

NOTE The RE cam sprocket must contain the cam position sensor pick-up.

1. Install the intake cam sprocket into the chain so that the sprocket notch RI (right head intake) engages the camshaft drive pin remains perpendicular to the cylinder head face. A hex is cast into the camshafts behind the lobes for cylinder No. 1 (or No. 2, LH) so that an open-end wrench may be used to provide minor repositioning of the cams.
  2. Loosely install the exhaust cam sprocket retainer bolt.
  3. Loosely install the intake cam sprocket retainer bolt.
  4. Install the chain tensioner or release tension on the shoe and tighten the tensioner mounting bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  5. Tighten the cam sprocket bolts to 90 ft lbs. (120 Nm).
  6. Route the secondary drive chain for the left side cylinder head over the inner row of the intermediate shaft teeth and repeat Steps 11 through 16 for left side cams. Left side cam sprockets are identified LI (left intake) and LE (left exhaust).

FIG : Setting camshaft timing-4.6L Northstar engine

image

FIG : Camshaft chain guides-4.6L Northstar engine

image

FIG : Primary chain tensioner-4.6L Northstar engine

image

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic