Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Hummer H2.. and quits right away... 2 seconds

Customer Question
Hello, It's a 2004...
Hello, It's a 2004 Hummer H2. Been fine but now 'starts' and quits right away... 2 seconds... repeatedly. Gas was low but now has about 8 gal. with the same results. Wonder about 'passlock' but see no blinking 'lock' light and no sign of tampering. Charging battery now after much dinging but it seemed fine at first. Almost like power to the fuel pump goes away.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
5/2/2010
Auto Mechanic: Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician replied 7 years ago
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
Do you hear the fuel pump priming / whining when you turn the key ON ( 1-3 seconds)?
Will it stay running if you slightly depress the gas pedal after starting?
Please reply back to this thread.
Thanks Vladimir,
No sound and NOTHING I do with the gas changes. It just quits trying as soon as it 'starts'
While it starts it sounds well and fine. Just quits right away.
Also, since yesterday, I've tried this about 40 times with the same result. There is always gas there ready to go but it's like the pump works during the 'start' and then quits. My reading makes it seem like 'passlock' is up to something but there's no blinking light or sign of tampering.
Just recharged the battery and it produced the same nice start and then quits right away. After all this time/number of efforts the pump seems like it's pumping but only during the 'start'.
Thanks, Tom
Tom,
Thank you for the reply.
It is possible that you deal with a faulty fuel pump that does not supply enough fuel to the injectors.
You will need to check for fuel pressure with a gauge connected to the fuel rail. Normal reading should be 55-62 PSI with the key On engine OFF. You may need to turn the key on-off-on several times to get max. readings.
If you feel that there is a problem with the power supply to the fuel pump, then remove the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse block and check for voltage at terminals #30 or # XXXXX of the terminals should be hot at all times.If you get power to the one of the terminals, then use a fused jumper wire and jumper #30 to #87 and see if your fuel pump works and creates pressure.
Be careful to jumper the correct terminals!!!
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Vladgmru
Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician