Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

95 SAAB 9000 Aero: cyl..the heater fan..even turn..climate control

I have a 95 SAAB 9000 Aero with 4 cyl HP turbo
My problem that just developed is that the heater fan suddenly went up to full hi speed and I can't turn it down lower nor can I even turn it off when I turn off the climate control. The only way to turn the fan off is to pull the fuse, which I did.

What has happened? What is the fix?
Miran

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The blower motor resistor is an electronic module type. That would be the first thing I would check or replace that will make the fan stay on high all the time.

graphic

NOTE : Models within VIN Serial No. Range: N1000001 - S1005461, inclusive refer to the "Technical Service Bulletin" No. 10950633 for information on Fan Control/Fan Resistor modification.

Removal :
  1. Remove the left-hand cover at the air intake as well as the air intake grille.
  2. Unplug the fan resistor connector. Undo the clip and pull out the fan resistor.

To Install :

1. Fit a new fan resistor. Miscellaneous during service:
    • In cars before chassis number CG1020189 the fan resistor can come loose causing the risk of short circuit or melting the cables. In later cars the resistor attachment has been improved by fitting two clips over the edge of the attachment.
    • When servicing the can the fan resistor attachment should be checked and two clips fitted as below.
  1. Remove the air intake coven 5 Fit two clips to the fan resistor 6 Refit the air intake cover. Part number for clips 73 99 207.

Part OEM Part Price
Blower Motor Resistor
Resistor 4634564 $91.00
Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Blower Motor Resistor
Replace
Main Blower Motor B 0.0 0.4

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am not sure what the resistor would look like and exactly where its located. Maybe you could point it out to me on the pictures that I took of the car under the hood and vent cover. Problem is I don't know how to attach the pics to this reply or how to get them to you.

Also, how would you check the resistor for a fault? What would indicate its OK or bad?

The part numbers you are quoting, are they SAAB's or generic or ??

Those are "Saab" part numbers, not sure if they are available after market. The fan controler, (resistor) in under the cowl cover and looks like this,

If you have photos you may be able to upload them at "photobucket" dot com and give me a link.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I put 2 photos in photobucket dot com as you suggested. Never used that site before. Hope it works OK

The link is http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/mstrizic/

Looks like the box type of thing with the yellow sticker on it. That should unscrew from the housing and come out and look like this.

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Well I got the fan control out of the housing. Your pictures of its ass'y in the housing helped a great deal as the lower screw is quite hidden from view.

Now the question is how do you know its faulty?

Is there some way of checking it before ordering and buying another?

I'm sure the one dealer here won't have the part in stock ( he carries next to nothing for SAAB) and if I order it I'm stuck with it.

The diagnostics are normally done with a scan tool and a breakout box to actually pinpoint a problem. However, being that the blower runs continuously, the most obvious problem would be the blower controller, (module) and they can't be tested outside the system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My one and only dealer here doesn't stock any parts and I don't have any confidence in ordering any from him as its a long process and usually turns out to be the wrong part.

Do you have any places in mind where I can buy the part for $91 approx.?

Thanks

Miran

I would try ebay or some other online parts suppliers.