Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1992 Mazda b2600: stay running when its cold but runs fine..warm

Customer Question
Dear Sirs, I have a...
Dear Sirs,
I have a 1992 Mazda B2600i. It will not stay running when its cold but runs fine when its warm. I want to run a code check. I have a manual that tells me to bridge the St1 pin to the sig rtn pin on the test connector. But it does'nt show diagram to identify which pins are st1 and sig rtn. There are 3 pins and I don't want to risk damaging the computer. Can you help
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
5/1/2010
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 7 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Hello!

To pull diagnostic trouble codes, you are supposed to ground the green pin and then turn the key on. Here is a picture.

graphic
Thank you for the answer. I was also hoping for some input on what my problem might be.
Well... there can be dozens of reasons why the check engine light is on.

IT mostly will have to do with the computer. The whole point of the check engine light coming on and pulling codes is to assist one in diagnosing the electrical part of the vehicle.

Mass air flow sensor and oxygen sensor codes are the most common.
I will try grounding this connector. If I can at least get a trouble code. I will accept your answer.
If the check engine light is on, there is a code in the computer. This is the way to pull codes from the computer. I guarantee it!

Just ground this terminal, turn the key on and watch the check engine light flash and count the number of long and short flashes

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Edited by AMEDEE on 5/1/2010 at 4:16 PM EST

Dear Amedee,

I did as you said. I grounded the green connector, turned on the ign. The check engine light comes on and just stays on. No flashing . According to my manual it says to bridge the st1 pin to the sig rtn pin.Then turn on the ign. and count the number of flashes. It does'nt say anything about grounding any connector. Note: I also have a toyota that i did a diagnostic on some time ago.It had the same instructions which I followed and was able to pull a code. The difference was it had a picture of the test connector and it showed which pin was which.

IT sounds to me like your not grounding the correct connector.

If there is another green connector, then try grounding that connector.

The only reason they want you to jumper two connectors is because one of them is ground. All you have to do is run a jumper wire from the correct pin or connector to ground and then turn the key on and the check engine light will start flashing.
There are two green connectors. One has a single wire and a single pin. the other one has three wires and three pins. I grounded the one with the single wire.
Is there another connector with only one pin in that area? There should be there connectors there all together.
There is only one other connector in that area. Its yellow and has two pins. I know this is for the fuel pump to keep it running with ign turned on because I used it when checking fuel pressure.
Are you jumping this green pin to another connector or are you grounding it?
grounding it
Where are you grounding it to?
I tried several places. The firewal, the engine, and the neg terminal of the battery.
Try turning the key on first and then grounding that wire that goes ot the green connector.
I tried that. nothing
Are by the fuel filter?
Yes
Well, you could have a bad wire that goes from the green connector to the computer. It could be opened causing your computer to not be receiving a ground on this wire.

Anyway, If you would like, I can help you with the performance issue.
What would you suggest?
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech