Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn
14297198

2001 xg300: radiator..transmission shop (on low fluid), and tranny

Customer Question

I have a 2001 xg300. a while back a transmission line to radiator was knocked off. took a while to get to transmission shop (on low fluid), and tranny was damaged. Was very rough shift from 2nd to third, Added 'lucas oil' tranny fluid & problem diminished. However check engine light is on. Code is 'transmission cooling line or pressure line. When I reset computer by disconnecting battery, rough shift returns for a while & eventually gets better but check engine light returns after computer seems to adapt for problem. It has 125k miles and i don't have money for major repair. Any possible simple fix ? Thanks for your kindness. tom <br /> <br />e-mail is xxxxxx    if you need a more detailed explanation. i tried to be brief.
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately you're likely not going to have a simple fix here, the computer is detecting that the adaptive values are too far out of spec, likely because of damage to the transmission pump and/or converter due to low fluid operation. Your only inexpensive option is going to be trying a transmission flush using hyundai/kia SPIII transmission fluid, hopefully it's just a fluid quality issue, possibly caused by the lucas oil causing the problem. Otherwise you're going to need to have the transmission replaced or rebuilt.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Josh,

Just wanted to thank you for your kind response. Already tried the flush & change including the filters. The lucas was another attempt .

Kinda figured i was grasping at straws but....

In any event i appreciate your help.

regards,

tom