Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
19741685

98 lincoln continental: starting my..whirring noise comes..car warms

Customer Question

when starting my 98 lincoln continental a whirring noise comes from the transmission. The noise seems to go away whe.n the car warms-up. It also seems to be getting worse
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 7 years ago.

My name is Dale.

How long since you have had the transmission serviced? When I say serviced, that means ALL the fluid flushed out of the converter as well as a new filter in the pan?

The whiring noise generally comes from the front pump being starved for oil because the filter is partially clogged and the fluid is much thicker until the transmission warms up and then the fluid can get through the partially plugged filter so the noise stops.

Sincerely,

Dale

PS-I am disabled and I subsidize my income by the earnings I get from my customers. I am available about 50% of the time and I must rest when I am not working for you.

Hello There,

Did you get the problem solved ? Or do you still need some help. We had some serious IT technical problems over the last week and some of our customers never received the expert messages. So let me know if I can help you in any way.

Sincerely,

Dale