Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

AMC Pacer.79. 5.0. 8cyl..

Customer Question
The engine and all it's...
AMC Pacer.79. 5.0. 8cyl.. The engine and all it's components are new. The engine stalls when hot. Then I have to wait 10 minutes before it will start again. Also,the timing specs say plus or minus two derees BTDC. The spec shows a + sign on top of a - sign. I assume this means plus or minus. But if timing is set BTDC then how can it be plus or minus? If I set it plus it would be on ATDC. If I set it minus it would be BTDC. I don't understand how to read the spec. My understanding is to set the damper at TDC then adjust according to the specs. Is this correct?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/23/2010
Auto Mechanic: Psychic Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Psychic Mechanic
Psychic Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Hello Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

It sounds like you you are getting vapor lock. The fuel in the fuel line is getting too hot and boiling. This will starve the carb of fuel. Check the fuel lines make sure they are not too close to the exhaust system. Sometime it may be the carb itself there are spacers available to cure this problem.

Usually a timing spec will be written with a +or - 2 degrees its always best to be dead on.

Good luck thank you for using just answer.com

PLEASE BE SURE TO LEAVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK!

ASK FOR ME BY NAME IN YOUR QUESTION NEXT TIME

THANK YOU

RYAN

Psychic Mechanic
Psychic Mechanic
Psychic Mechanic