Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

2003 SAAB: dash board..a single click noise and no other engine noise

I have a 2003 SAAB Linear 9-3. I went to start the car and when I turned the ignition, the dash board lit up like it always does before starting but the only thing that happened was there was a single click noise and no other engine noise. What could be wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, was the click noise a firly pronounced click or real light click, hard to hear say behind the dash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Its the only sound which occurs after turning the ignition. Not real loud but enough where I can hear it. Fairly pronounced.

Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Hello, if the lights all work, and accy's work this could mean the battery is ok but.. the starter requires more amps so.. the battery could still be ok to power lights, but weak enough to prevent starter from working. You could have weak battery still so a jump is a good start. If this doesn not work, these starters were known for problems at the main battery cable at the starter. See below. If connection is ok, you could try hitting on starter with hammer, or you may need to replace it. getting toit is a little tough as the car need to be lifted some. the click is mostlikely the starter solenoid but the starter motor itself is not turning.

ECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Bulletin Nbr:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Date:...........Oktober 2006

Market: all

Starter motor does not work

Cars affected
9-3 M03-04 with engine alternative B207

Background

The positive cable connection to the starter motor and the generator is not waterproof. This may result in water entering and rusting away the connection.