NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Drivetrain and Chassis Master, ASE Master Technician
21564301

Infiniti QX4 ignition switch will not turn on and can not get

Infiniti QX4 ignition switch will not turn on and can not get transmission out of park
Category: Car
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 7 years ago.

Hi! is the problem that the key will not turn? or it turns and nothing happens?

Thanks

Nick.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Key will not turn

My wife has a 2004 G20 that had the same exact problem.

The key cylinder is damaged. Unfortunately it must be replaced, and a new key cut and programmed. Cheapest way to attempt the problem is call a local locksmith to attempt to free the tumblers in the cylinder, then you are on your way. If came apart, a new key cylinder (I paid 180 on ebay for a new one) and a new key must be cut at the dealer and programmed to your anti-theft module. (No way around it, I tried, promise you.) Which may result in a tow. Now, if you can get it started, do not turn the key to the "off" position to avoid a tow. A way to free it up is wiggle the key like crazy while putting it in the cylinder and pulling it out. Helps to move the steering wheel a little too.

To get in gear to push if needed, there is a little tab to the right of the shifter that can be popped up with a screwdriver or small pin, and push a small screwdriver into the hole to release the shift lock.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is the only way out. (Trust me I know).

Although this answer may not be the one you like it is correct and an accept is extremely appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Nick.