mikehatch
mikehatch, mechanic/technician
Experience:  I have worked in the automotive industry for 32 years.
25906319

2002 eclipse: cylinder..indicator..I turn on the cruise control but it

Customer Question

2002 eclipse 4 cylinder. The cruise control is not working. Cruise indicator comes on when I turn on the cruise control but it does not hold the speed when I use the 'set' . I was wondering what the trouble shooting steps are.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Pull the diagnostic codes and let me know what you find.

To pull fault codes manually:

1. Turn on ignition switch while holding the cruise switch SET position (down).

2. Within one second move the cruise switch (up) to the RESUME position. Cruise lamp will flash long and short lamp flashes. Constant short flashes indicate that no codes are stored. Long and short flashes are the codes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It looks like there are 3 flashes and then a short pause. The flashes all appear to be the same length.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Ok, well if there 3 flashes the same speed with no pause and more flashes it sounds like you dont have any codes.....At this point you will need to go one by one to diagnose things, I would first start out with a vacuum pump at the cruise control servo and see if it it holds pressure and moves the cruise control and/or jump power to the vacuum pump to see if it moves the servo if not then replace pump. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tested the control servo and it does hold vacuum and it does move the throttle. The vacuum pump has 4 wires going to the connector and I'm trying to figure out which ones will turn on the pump so I can check if its working. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The yellow one needs power and the blue orange needs ground.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I pulled the vacuum pump out of the car and bench tested it. The vacuum was good.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I'm going to opt out of this question and leave it open to other experts. Dont reply otherwise I"ll be locked into the question, someone will respond automatically. Thanks

Expert:  mikehatch replied 7 years ago.

Hello My name is Mike,

I have seen a similar problem while working at the local Mitsubishi Dealer. The most common cause I have found for the cruise to not set is the brake[auto trans] or the clutch [manual trans] cut off switch. These switches can become out of adjustment or the bracket that the switch is mounted in bends slightly causing the switch to stay in the closed position and prevent the cruise from setting. When the switch is aligned and adjusted properly the cruise will work properly until either the clutch/brake pedal is pressed to disengage the cruise control.

It sounds like the servo is working and you have no codes, so this seems to be the most likely fix.

Thanks, Mike

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me where these switches are located. Are they inside the car on the pedals?
Expert:  mikehatch replied 7 years ago.

Sorry I had a loss of online connection. The switches are located where the pedals are mounted under the dash. Follow the pedal up from the bottom of it and you will find the switch mounted on a bracket as previously stated. Check to make sure the switch is mounted properly and that the switch is not closed. If it is in the closed position then it is easy to adjusted by a ratcheting adjustment to an open position but so when the pedal is depressed it will disengage the cruise.

Thanks, Mike

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I removed the switches and tested both the brake and the clutch and readjusted them. Still no cruise control.
Expert:  mikehatch replied 7 years ago.

Hello Again,

I would have to think if the switches are adjusted properly and the cruise servo is working and you have power to the orange wire on the cruise vacuum pump and the vehicle has no vacuum leaks and then the control module would be my diagnosis.

Thanks, Mike

Note: I assume you have not changed the intake or modified the intake from the factory set-up.

Thanks, Mike

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have not checked the orange wire for power. When I checked the pump I removed it and applied my own power. Should there be power on the orange wire at all times (when the car is on) or just when the cruise is on?
Expert:  mikehatch replied 7 years ago.

Hello Again,

There should be power to the orange wire with the key on and the cruise is turned on.

I don't have a manual here at home, but if you have power to the orange wire then the control module is the next step.

Thanks, Mike

mikehatch, mechanic/technician
Experience: I have worked in the automotive industry for 32 years.