AutoTech1
AutoTech1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years experience, ASE advanced level cerification, Emission expert, Repair shop owner
30935437

1998 Oldsmobile silhouette: intake gaskets..plug wires..coil..Haynes

Customer Question

1998 Oldsmobile silhouette just replaced intake gaskets. Got it all put back together, now it is missing bad. Had to take plug wires of the coil to do the work followed the Haynes book on which order to put back the plug wires on the coil but it is still missing.. And it's not the injectors. Wanting to know if the haynes manual could be wrong or different engine in the book or what the heck is going on.....It's missing so bad it dies when let off the gas pedal won't idle?????????????????????
Category: Car
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.
This one's still fighting you? Well let's see what we can do for you. Start by telling me how long you left it run after you first started it.
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.

Starting from the passenger side of the coil assembly and going toward the drivers side, the cylinder numbers are 5 2 3 6 4 1

Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.
Having done this job on this engine at least 100 times, I can tell you that even when it is assembled properly it will usually run terrible for about 1 minute, until all the antifreeze in the cylinders is burnt up. I would also recommend for the same reason that you change the oil, and let the drain plug out and let it drip for a few minutes after it empties out.
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.

Check the firing order, then hold the throttle open and keep it running about 2 minutes to see if it clears up. Usually if you can keep it running a few minutes the cars computer can set a pending code for the cylinders that are not firing. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Awhile wanted to see if I had heat because thats why i changed the intake gaskets It was leaking coolant in the oil. So yea big job out in my garage about 10 degrees for 4 days lol.. So anyway it runs and has heat now... but its missing bad I think I have got wires crossed but I have the order right according to the Haynes book :(
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The major problem is I can't reach the back side plugs even with the` engine pulled foward with a racheting strap Is there another way of reacvhing the back plugs so I can make sure ther in the the right order? Like drop the engine or something?
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.
It is very easy to damage one of the fuel injectors as well. Do you have access to a scan tool that will read a live data stream?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO :(
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.

Don't worry, if it didn't misfire before, the odds are it is something minor. Let me examine the schemata for a few minutes and we'll walk through this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm actually going to auto tech college atm I want a Fluke 88 but there awful salty should just go buy a cheap DMM
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I think im done for the night worrying about it. I'm burnt out!!!! I will talk to you tomorrow. Think of all you and type it in I'll read it in the morning and start fresh i'll give you a bonus if we get it figured out^^ Goodnight

Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.
Hey that's another question (kidding'), but yes the cheapest meter does 99% of what you need to diagnose car electronics. What we need here however is a scanner to read the fuel trim values and determine from that what element is missing from the combustion.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oh I see definitly don't have one of them my my tech class does but it's 50 miles away and it die's when i put it in gear lol talk to you tomorrow if your on Sundays. what I really need to do is be able to check the back side plugs but can't figure out how :(
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Might go buy a stethascope Haynes book says with one those you can hear the accuators going up and down inside the injectors ...Hell IDK GRRRR....

Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.

you can take the 2 motor mounts that attach to the top of the rad support off, put the trans in neutral, and carefully pry the entire motor forward. With those 2 mounts unbolted at the engine side of the mount (the long bolt with a 13mm head, and a 15mm nut) pry the engine forward and you can get it far enough to put the bolt back in the mount on the driver's side mount, only this time don't put the bolt in the engine side part of the mount, put it thought the big black iron hoop (the one used to hook a chain to for engine removal), its over by the pipe on the engine that the upper rad hose goes to. Once all this is done, you can get your hand back behind the engine. Just feel which wire is going to which cylinder, to check the fire order. FYI you can do that entire job without taking off the coil assy, rear valve cover, alternator, or loosening any rocker arms.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Paid you some money tonight be more tomorrow
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I will be getting dirty putting an engine in SUPRISE a 2001 Silhouette most of the day, I'll be on later, but there are allot of good techs on just answer and I'm sure most of them have done this job many times. I wish you luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yeah I used a ratchet strap done that like 12 times ..But I'll try it your way and see if I can get anymore room. At least I'll know it's not crossed plug wires if I can get enough room to feel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yo lost your reply some how about the scanner ?
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 7 years ago.
That was on the last question. Snap on modis or veris, or the scanner system made by launch, are about as good as it gets without getting into factory scan tools. For your purposes you may want to pick up one at a parts store for about $300. Make sure it reads a live data stream. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yo you on?