Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2004 lincoln ls. my battery was completely dead. so

Customer Question
i put the charger on...
I have a 2004 lincoln ls. my battery was completely dead. so i put the charger on for a while. tried starting it a few times but it wouldn't crank. then my alarm would go off. this happened about 4 times. then finally it started. so i let it run for about 2 minutes. then it just shut off! and now nothing happens when you turn the key. no dash lights or anything come on. it doesn't even ding when the door is open. interior lights and locks work though.
what could be the problem??
please help!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
2/5/2010
Auto Mechanic: Car expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician

This is most commonly either the fuse with the bad connection or a blown fuse , be sure to check all the Maxi fuses and this also could be a faulty ignition switch . There are Maxi fuses in the trunk 175a Be sure to test them with a test light to see if you have power getting to them

Tests/Procedures:1. Check fuse 24 (5 amp) of the Central Junction Box (CJB) for a blown, missing, or poorly connected fuse and service the fuse as necessary.

2. If fuse 24 is found to be ok, access the transceiver connection near the ignition switch tumbler and verify that its connection is fully seated. Inspect the wires of the connection for a possible open circuit and service it as needed.

3. Check for battery voltage on the Orange/Blue (OG/BU) wire which is supplied by fuse 24 when the ignition switch is in the run position. Check the Black/Blue (BK/BU) wire of the connection to verify it is a good ground.

this would cause the car to just shut off while its running?
Absolutely the car is completely dependent on its power going through these fuses , if one of them Were to blow or had have an intermittent bad connection The car would come to a stop
ok thanks i'll check it out as soon as i get a chance and let you know!
ok thank you
Car expert
Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician