Car

I have a 1999 Hummer H1, intermittently when I..engage..catches…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Hummer...
I have a 1999 Hummer H1, intermittently when I try to start up the car the ignition doesn't engage. It takes sometimes 3 turns until it catches.... Read full answer
I have a 1999 Hummer H1, intermittently when I try to start up the car the ignition doesn't engage. It takes sometimes 3 turns until it catches.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
2/5/2010
Auto Mechanic: Mad Mike, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Mad Mike
Mad Mike, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JA.

When you turn the key to start, do you hear any clicking noise or anything?

Have you checked for power to the starter when this is happening?

Thanks,

Mike,

There is no clicking sound, it seems that it's not catching, it happens randomly. I can have 20 good starts and it happens and then goes away.

Please explain what you mean by "not catching". Do you mean that the key just turns freely like it's not connected to anything?

Thanks,

Like the tumbler is not engaging the ignition switch, but it does switch the car to run (the stereo and heater come on)

Ok, I see. So it feels normal, it just doesn't do anything at all.

The most common issue causing a problem like this is an intermittent starter problem. Next time that this happens, you need to check for power on the small terminal at the starter. The easiest way is with a simple 12v test light. If you don't have an assistant, you can use some jumper wires to hook the light up so that you can see it while you attempt to crank the engine.

If you don't have a test light, or if that sounds like a hassle, have someone hold the key in the start position while you tap on the starter with a hammer or other similar tool. If that gets it to crank, you need a new starter.

Let me know if the starter isn't getting power, or if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Are you sure its not a key tumbler, when I took off the steering shroud and tighened things up it didnt do it for a long while

It sounds like you still have spring tension when you turn the key to crank, and it feels normal, but it just doesn't do anything at all....

Is that correct?

Come to think of it, thats what I think I mean when its not catching, the starter is only 18 months old

Ok. I still recommend beginning by checking power to the starter. If you don't have power, we'll work back towards the ignition switch. I'd just hate to have you tear down the steering column for a starter problem.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
What is the maximum and highest possible price at retail value
Don't know how this question ended up in The Consumer Protection Law category, but I addressed this question to Mechanics. Please forward to mechanics. Thank you. What is the maximum and highest possi… read more
Retired,
N/A
Starting problems..hummer..my son hooked bat charger on backwards
having starting problems on h1 hummer 2003, my son hooked bat charger on backwards and left to charge, did i mention he left key on also...... put new bats in and nothing..... what burned up?… read more
Greg
Greg
Shop owner, technician,
1999 hummer h1 with a 6.5 turbo deisel purchaseed..tires..chugs..hill
i have a 1999 hummer h1 with a 6.5 turbo deisel purchaseed from the USA it has 40 x 15.5 tires and i find that it chugs going up a hill what could it be… read more
Dodge expert
Dodge expert
ASE MASTER TECH, REPAIR FACILITY OWNER,
Stop searching for answers—
relay ticking..glow plug light comes on for a few seconds..same thing
i have a 1999 hummer h1 the glow plug light doesn't come on when i turn the key to ignition but i can here the relay ticking after it stops i start the truck. but while i'm driving the glow plug light… read more
Lead mech,
Some college
Emissions..Hummer..I know it must pass the new 2010 Diesel smog test
Are there any emissions standards imposed on out of state Hummer H1 that would prevent it getting registered in California? I know it must pass the new 2010 Diesel smog test. Is there any difference b… read more
acramstr
acramstr
Shop foreman,
1999 Mitsubishi Montero: (not the Sport)..automatic transmission
I own a 1999 Mitsubishi Montero (not the Sport). It has the 3.5 L engine with an automatic transmission. I have a problem starting the vehicle. When I turn the ignition key to the START position,somet… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hummer..cooling system..all kinds or word about cracked cylinder walls
I have a 2002 Hummer H1 that is building excess pressure in the cooling system. I see all kinds or word about cracked cylinder walls, etc, but nothing for such a late model H1. Looking for an expert o… read more
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
2002 Isuzu Axiom: battery terminals..It is an intermittent problem I
What could be causing my 2002 Isuzu Axiom to have a hard time starting? The problem started after I cleaned the gunk off of the battery terminals. It is an intermittent problem I've had for about 2 we… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Fire, traveling down the highway..fires..sparks..exhaust pipe
We recently had a grass fire started on our place that fireman are positive was started bya H1 Hummer, whose engire was on fire, traveling down the highway. Seven fires were started along its path unt… read more
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
High school
Hummer..a stop light It shuts off and it is also cranks..idle
I have an h1 hummer and when I come to a stop light It shuts off and it is also cranks but does not turn over and when it finally starts it is below idle and barely wants to stay on. What is wrong and… read more
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Mechanic,
My 2003 H2 will not start (intermitently), i turn the key but there
my 2003 H2 will not start (intermitently), i turn the key but there is no response, after a while it starts as if there was never any problem. it is getting worse , some times it takes over an hour of… read more
Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector
Assistant Service Manager,
In course of study for bachelor's d
alarm went..car started..tuned off,now wont crank.help
my hummer h1 keyless was not working,opened w key, alarm went off.opened door then shut off alrm w keyless,car started ran until tuned off,now won''t crank.help?… read more
DCM
DCM
Automotive Master Tech,
Mechanical Engineer
Stop searching for answers—
1991 Nissan 240SX SE: gas pedal..my steering wheel..brake light
I've been having this really odd problem with my 1991 Nissan 240SX SE 5 speed. I'll be driving the car down the road, when all of the sudden my gas pedal will stop responding, and my steering wheel lo… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
intermittently..dash lights flash on and off and even my radio resets
I own a 2000 h1 hummer. I turn the ignition to start the vehicle and the power will come on and off intermittently with all of the dash lights flashing. The power completely goes out after the dash li… read more
Randy
Randy
1999 Pontiac Bonneville: the ignition switch..solenoid..intermittent
When I turn the ignition switch it sounds like the solenoid clicks but the starter does not turn. on the second or third attempt the starter engages and the engine starts. This is an intermittent prob… read more
Bob
Bob
car must be jumped..starter fires a long time before engine turns over
Sometimes turning the key over produces nothing and the car must be jumped. Sometimes the starter fires a long time before engine turns over. We have even been in the process of trying to start the ca… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
1999 toyota rav4: weeks ago would have trouble starting..click sound
hi there. My 1999 toyota Rav-4 a couple a weeks ago would have trouble starting. when I would put the key in the ignition it was just turn a make a click sound. After trying several times it was event… read more
Amedee
Amedee
Former ASE Master Tech,
Kia Spectra: randomly.....sometimes..hot/cold..5/10 minutes
Kia Spectra 2001 - randomly does not start...sometimes only - doesn't matter hot/cold-will start after 5/10 minutes and 4 or 5 tries...some days it's ok - dealership stumped unless they have it when i… read more
auto repair man 101
auto repair man 101