Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have 2000 lincoln ls v8 109000mi. I have a misfire in cylinder

I have 2000 lincoln ls...
I have 2000 lincoln ls v8 109000mi. I have a misfire in cylinder one. I changed the coil pack and the missing continued. I found oil in a couple of spark plug tubes. So I changed the valve cover gasket and orings. Wondering if the oil fouled new coil pack. Found a good deal on coils, should I replace the eight coils and plugs or could it be something else.
2/1/2010
Dan, Technician

If its only #1 thats misfiring then yo ushould not need to change all of the coils. Also oil could cause problems but it should work for a little while until oil is good again. Swap the spark plug with another cylinder to make sure thats not the problem and swap the coil with another cylinder to make sure the aftermarket coil is good. If problem is still there verify you have good compression, the coil is firing as it should with a voltmeter. Then Ohm out the injector to make sure its about the same resistance as the others and verify injector circuit is working good. So if wiring to coil and injector is good, swapping doesnt change problem, compression is good, then replace the injector. This vehicle also has problems with coil 1 and 8 getting moisture in them causing problem so make sure the connectors are in good condition with no corrosion then use some dielectric greae on the connectors.

Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

P0301 Cylinder Number 1 Misfire Detected

Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Base engine mechanical problem that affects only Cylinder 1
  • Check for air leaks in the Air Induction system (e.g., in the intake manifold)
  • Check for air leaks in the EGR system and in its related hoses and/or valve
  • Check for air leaks in the PCV system and in its related hoses and/or valve
  • Fuel delivery problem (e.g., a contaminated, dirty or sticking fuel injector)
  • Ignition system problem (coil, plug) that affects only Cylinder 1
  • Vehicle driven while very low on fuel (less than 1/8 of a tank)

When I first changed the coil I moved it from cylinder to cylinder with no change in performance. I checked the ohms on the injectors and they are consistent. The thing is after the car has been shut off a few times it clears its own codes and reads no problems. so im not sure if the problem is contained to cylinder one. It always misses and idles ruff but only shows check engine light after driving it for long period of times and it begins to miss real bad then the engine light comes on. Plus im not sure of the location of cylinder 1. I have a good idea but have not be able to have this confirmed. How would I go about checking the compression?

You can barrow a compression tester from your local parts store....from what you are describing it sounds like you have a wiring problem to the coil or injector or a plugged injector. You will need to monitor voltage/ground when problem happens. Here is a picture of #1 cylinder, let me know if you have questions. Thanks

graphic

I looked at injector plugs and a couple of the clasps that keep them plugged in are broke. Could they becoming loose and causing the problem? if so how could I get new connectors?
I dont think that would be the problem becaues they wouldnt just come loose and tight again but you would need to get the connector from the dealership or salvage yard. You might be abel to use a zip tie to make something work to keep them tight too.
Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician