Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Stay running..starter fluid, fuel pump needs replacing

replaced air flow meter/sensor, car continues to cut off, it will not stay running, will start with starter fluid, fuel pump needs replacing. Is this the right fix?

Hello my name is Lou.

well have you checked fuel pressure while running???

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, when Air flow was replaced by mechanic, he thought the problem was fixed. I was driving home from the shop when the car cut off. The mechanic came to where I was checked the system, used starter fluid, this was the only way the car would start with fluid, and would cut back off after a few seconds. So he said the fuel pump needs to be replaced. Just don't want to keep buying parts and guessing the problem.
well it very well could be the pump but it could also be a clogged fuel filter so before replacing anything else hook up a pressure tester and see what the pressures are i believe that they should be in the 60's. if not then its possibly a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump. i would start with the filter if you have not ever changed it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I spoke with mechanic, he feels pretty sure it is the fuel pump but suggest I get both parts as he did not check the filter. The car has been towed to my home, we are snowed in so he cannot check it today. Wise decision to buy both parts? I can't afford to make an uninformed decision, I appreciate your position and willingness to help.
ok well tryin to save some money here the fuel filter is 1st thing i would replace. probably under 20$ and a hour to replace. then if all fails fuel pump BUT you need check fuel pressure because if you have good fuel pressure then its also possible you have a injector fault or something not allowing fuel to be injected. so pleasplease please check pressures. that will clear up ALOT of guessing. and let me know if you need more help. i will continue to help until you are satisfied or want to choke me,LOL.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have ordered fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pump gasket. I may have some other questions when I get parts, is that a problem?
no no not at all. just dont forget to click accept if i have been helpfull. i really really suggest to check fuel pressure i just want to be clear that way if your parts do not fix it you cant blame me!!!!!! BUT i hope all goes well,Lou.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I am taking your advice. I won't blame you at all, you have been extremely helpful, no doubt.
ok cool .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I did not remember how to get back to the site. The fuel filter was fine, I kept the one that I purchased for future use. It was definitely the fuel pump. Car is running fine now. Thanks for your help it was very reassuring to me in my situation.
hey glad to hear it!!!!! look me up in the future if you need any more help,Lou.