Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Running fine..It suddenly quit running and wont restart..coil pack

Customer Question
This car was running fine...
This car was running fine, It suddenly quit running and wont restart. I replaced the plugs,
wires, and coil pack but Im still getting no spark at the plugs.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2010
Auto Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 7 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
HI there! How many miles on the car?
110000
OK, to be honest I would pull the top timing cover and see if the belt has broken. If the ecm is not getting signal from the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor, you will not get spark. If you have a code reader,it should read if the cam or crank sensor is not working.There will be a code.
I checked the timing belt, It was intact. However when I attached my code reader it was unable to link up to the computer
OK, Then check all of the fuses. It is possible that you blew a fuse for the ecm or you may have a broken wire to it.This will kill the spark for sure. Start with the fuses.
The first thing I did was to check that all the fuses were okay both visually and with a continuity tester
Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on?
Yes
OK, so the ecm is getting power. I believe you will find a black and white wire going to the coils. Check and see if there is power to this wire with the key on.
Ok, I will check that first thing in the morning when I get there. Thank-you.
your welcome! you should have power on that line, then it gets signal from the ecm when to fire. Sorry,I can't find a decent wiring diagram for the ecm and why the code reader isn't picking it up.Could just be the code reader, not all of them can read every system.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know some code readers wont work on some cars but I just bought this one a month ago and made sure it would work so Im pretty sure it has to be in the wiring. I just dont have a clue where to start looking.
Well, lets see if you at least have power going to the coils,if not it will make it easier to start looking.
OK, I will let you know tomorrow. Rick Warner
Ok Rick, I will actually be here all day tomorrow,so shoot me a reply and i will see what I an do to help!
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician