Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

97 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL: DIES..THE MASS AIR FLOW..IDLE CONTROL..TUNE

HAVE A 97 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL MY PROBLEM IS THAT IT DIES AFTER STARTING SOMETIMES I HAVE REPLACED THE MASS AIR FLOW,IDLE CONTROL VAVLE GOT MAJOR TUNE-UP,02 SENSORS STILL PROBLEM WONT GO AWAY WHAT COULD IT BE?????????
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

The next step would be cleaning the throttle body, that could cause this problem and if that doesnt help monitor fuel pressure when this happens and check for vacum leaks. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
YOU SAY FUEL PRESSURE DOES THIS INCLUDE GAS CAP AND WHERE EXACTLY AM I LOOKIN 4 THE LEAKS
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

If its leaking it should be leaking at all times so around the intake gaskets, throttle body gasket, and vacuum lines. You can use carb cleaner to spray around to see if it changes idle speed if so look in that area. If fuel pressure is low replace the pump and pinch off the regulator to seee if that helps if so replace regulator. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Fuel Pressure
Pressure 1 (PSI)Pressure 2 (PSI)Pressure 3 (PSI)
RangeNoteRangeNoteNote
35.0 - 45.0Y17130.0 - 45.0Y172Y173
Y171: System pressure with ignition on, fuel pump running.
Y172: System pressure, idling.
Y173: Fuel pump pressure.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IF I HAVE BAD PRESSURE DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE A BAD FUEL PUMP OR MAYBE GOIN Bad.. JUST ASKING...............
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
If it has low pressure then it means the fuel pump is going bad or the fuel pressure regulator. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it more often the fuel regulator goes bad because I have got a check engine light took it too shop they said it to be running lean they clear it runs like normal drive it around a bit go too a few store and it's back .....too start it i have too step on gas til it stay idled...is this a difficult fixx
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
It is more common the fuel pump then the regulator. The fuel pressure regulator usually leaks causing it to run rich if anything. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK THEN THIS CAN MEAN MY FUEL PUMP IS GOIN MAYBE
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Ya, thats what I would think or the fuel filter is beginning to clog. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS 4 THE ANSWERS FUEL FILTER IS A EASY ONE AND PRETTY CHEAP TOO FIXX
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I agree, the fuel filter is the best place to start and clean the mass airflow sensor, throttle body, and get some injector cleaner. Let me know if you need anything else, thanks.