Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

2000 Lincoln Continental: My fuel door wont open when I

I have a 2000 Lincoln Continental. My fuel door won't open when I hit the switch. I have checked the fuse and it is OK. I have put a screw driver in the door and there is, what looks like a latch just inside the door. When I push this latch the door doesn't open. How can I open the door manually? I can hear the solenoid when I hit the switch but the door doesn't open. What can I do to resolve the problem.

HiCustomer

It sounds like the spring mechanism is wore out on the fuel door or the hinge is rusted. If you have a helper handy, have them press the release button while you use the screwdriver to gently pry the door open. If you don't have anyone handy then check the trunk for a small pull handle release or a little compartment where you can release the latch. This would allow you to release the latch and pry the door open at the same time.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the Spring replaceable?
I think the spring is a piece of curved metal that kicks the door out slightly. It's quite possible it is part of the hinge and door on your car. I don't have one to look at and there is nothing in my service information that I could find. First thing is to get the door open and see if the spring is mounted to the door or to the body. If its a small lever looking spring mounted to the body they are typically replaceable as just that piece.