Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
24034660

1997 Lincoln Continental: the rear air suspension will not kick on

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Lincoln Continental Limo and the rear air suspension will not kick on automatically as they should it has also affected the divider and both radios inside the car please help me
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 7 years ago.
Have you taken a look at the relay for this system? And also check the level sensor in the rear.If you require any diagrams please let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have checked the relay system and there is no problem with that there is no power to the pump. There is one wire that has constant power to the pump when the car is on but the car will not send the signal or power to tell the pump it needs to be running and there is no power to anything in the back not even the little breaker type swith they have in the trunk.

Then you need to check the level sensor in the rear(it sends a ground signal to the relay to tun-on the power to the pump,If that checks good at the sensor,Then test the wiring between the sensor and the relay for an open circuit condition. Thanks let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this level sensor you are talking about is it located in the trunk and would it disrupt the computer from sending the signal to the pump that the bags are low and need air because i have tried everything in the book that i knew cause the pump still has one power source when you turn the car on it just doent turn on to air the back end up and everything has been replaced including relays that why i was wondering where this leveling sensor was located i might have already put a new one on.
It is located at the rear (axle area) Its what tells the unit what the level is at ,and when to turn on the pump and when to turn off the pump, It has a sensing arm mounted to the sensor and to the rear axle, If you require more info.please let me know I can send to you tomorrow, because my info. site is down for maintance at this time.Thanks please let me know.