Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Deflate air suspension 99 lincoln town car for air bag replacment

deflate air suspension 99 lincoln town car for air bag replacment
1/16/2010
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will need a scan tool that is capable of commanding the suspension control module. Here is the procedure.

Inflating and Deflating the Air Suspension System
Notes

WARNING: Do not remove an air spring under any circumstances when there is pressure in the air spring. do not remove any components supporting an air spring without either exhausting the air or providing support for the air spring to prevent vehicle damage or personal injury.

WARNING: Disconnecting an air line that is connected to the air compressor can cause personal injury or damage to components as high pressure air is vented uncontrolled.

WARNING:

• Do not attempt to install or inflate any rear air spring that has become unfolded to prevent vehicle damage or personal injury.
  • Any rear spring which is unfolded must be refolded prior to being installed in a vehicle.
  • The air spring refolding procedure should only be used for an air spring which has never supported the vehicle's weight while in the improperly folded position.
  • Improperly folded air springs found on vehicles during pre-delivery inspection or after use must be replaced.
  • Do not attempt to inflate any air spring which has been collapsed while uninflated from the rebound hanging position to the jounce stop.
  • When installing a new air spring, care must be taken not to apply a load to the suspension until springs have been inflated using the air spring fill procedure.
  • After inflating an air spring in hanging position, it must be inspected for proper shape.

1. Make sure air spring is in the proper shape with no folds or creases.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
  3. Connect NGS Tester to the data link connector (DLC).
  4. Select the air suspension control module active command LR_SOL (LR) or RR_SOL (RR) from off to on.
  5. NOTE: When using the air suspension control module active command AS_COMP, do not run the air compressor for more than three minutes to prevent overheating and shutdown. If this occurs, wait for the system to cool down before resuming the inflation procedure. Select the air suspension control module active command AS_VENT to deflate the air springs or AS_COMP to inflate the air springs.
ok so far is this 99 lincoln obd1 or 11 i ask because my gensis is newer obd11 with smart cable did not see a way to get to the module for active command I also have an older snap on with generic obd could this work? or is the ngs tester the only way?

The vehicle is an OBD2, and the data link connector will look something like this shape. Not sure if the "older" snap on will be able to do it.

graphic

graphic

i hesitated because i went to work on the car monday and still found no way for the gennisys to access the suspension system to vent the bags ( right or left) i spent about 2.5 hours trying to figure this out (wasted time) a little more help in the gennisys direction would have been more helpful. as it were with the switch off in the trunk and on a lift with the driver side air bag plumb full and the passenger side empty if i am going to repair the axle seats i did not want to just open the sensor I could have broken my wrist trying (turning the switch on and letting it down acually let it vent most of the air) irronically after much reading. so yes i will accept your answer (right out of the book) that i read

Yeah, you have to be carefull with them. Also, without the scan tool there is way of doing it.

Just get a jack with the suspension switch on, raise the rear of the vehicle, wait fifteen minutes, and lower it. Once lowered, turn the air suspension off, or disconnect the compressor. Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Jerry, Master Mechanic