Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
12331040

2004 Kia optima: step by step how to remove and replace my alternator

Customer Question

I need to know step by step how to remove and replace my alternator on a 2004 Kia Optima 2.7 for example what do I have to remove to get to the alternator
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

I find having this on a lift makes life so much easier. Please be sure the car is supported properly. NEVER work under a jack. Always use proper supports and stands. Ramps are not proper supports!

DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE PREFORMING ANY REPAIR PROCEEDURES

{BE SURE YOU HAVE THE RADIO CODE IF YOU STEREO REQUIRES ONE. ONCE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED, IT WILL NEED O BE UNLOCKED}

Looking at the attached picture, you will see that Kia did not get very wordy on this one; however, it is pretty simple. Once you remove the belt, just remove the mounting bolts {as shown and flip the alternator and disconnect the leads from it. Reverse to install.

Scott.

REMOVAL

Installation
1.Place the alternator and insert a support bolt (Do not insert a nut this time).
2.After pushing the alternator forward, count that how many spacers (a spacer thickness : 0.198 mm) should be inserted between the alternator front leg and front case as shown in "A".
3.After inserting spacers, insert and tighten a nut securely.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
now that we have the alternator disconnected we can't get it out from under the frame