Car

While replacing a wheel bearing on the drivers..I broke the abs sensor…

Customer Question
While replacing a wheel bearing...
While replacing a wheel bearing on the drivers front a few months back I broke the ABS sensor. I just replaced the sensor but the computer does not recognize it has been replaced. How do I reset the computer or ABS portion of the computer? I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes with no effect. 07 Rav 4 Sport 2WD V6... Read full answer
While replacing a wheel bearing on the drivers front a few months back I broke the ABS sensor. I just replaced the sensor but the computer does not recognize it has been replaced. How do I reset the computer or ABS portion of the computer? I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes with no effect. 07 Rav 4 Sport 2WD V6
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
12/18/2009
Auto Mechanic: stin1974, Auto Service Technician replied 9 years ago
stin1974
stin1974, Auto Service Technician
You can try disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and holding them together for 20 seconds then hooking them back up. This will usually work. If not, you can take the vehicle to Autozone or advanced Auto. They perform scans for free for customers. They do this in the hopes of selling you any parts you may need. You can have them do the scan then ask them to clear the codes for you.
You must hit accept for me to get credit if you feel this was helpfull. Thanks.
Autozone's Policy is not to clear codes, only recognize them to see parts. The battery cable thing did not work. Autozone also told me the ABS uses a separate scanner.
Auto Mechanic: ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech replied 9 years ago
ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
You must have a defective sensor or another problem. ABS sensors when working automaticly turn off the ABS light when the problem is solved. There is no need to reset. Check to make sure it is connected correctly and if that is the actual problem. Check for ABS codes. To check ABS codes, you will need a scanner that has that function. If it doesn't recognize the wheel sensor, there is a loss of signal, bad connection or defective part. Check to make sure there is no blown fuses.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
What scan tool will pull and reset ABS codes on 2000 montero
what scan tool will pull and reset ABS codes on 2000 montero sport 4x4 3.0? … read more
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
High school
My 2005 scion tc rear passenger bearing was replaced now the
My 2005 scion tc rear passenger bearing was replaced now the abs and brake light are on the dash and my low tire pressure light is flashing i tried disconnecting the posative battery cable to reset no… read more
Tyler Henry
Tyler Henry
Technician,
Automotive service technology
My snow chain broke on my driver side wheel the chain fell
My snow chain broke on my driver side wheel the chain fell behind the tire and the anti skid and ABS lights came on. The chain broke loose for only about 4 rotations of the tires. Any idea why the lig… read more
Jake
Jake
Stop searching for answers—
Abs light on. Abs and traction. 2013 Cadillac CTS 4.
Where does the sensor read from the hub or the axle… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
How do i reset ABS VSA and! lights. i had codes 61-1, 24-1,
how do i reset ABS VSA and ! lights. i had codes 61-1, 24-1, 18-1 and 17-1 from ABS computer. on advise i replaced the left hub. now need to clear lights to see if it worked. … read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Technician,
I have a 2003 infiniti g35 coupe and I recently installed a
I have a 2003 infiniti g35 coupe and I recently installed a SPC camber kit cause I lowered my car, with that said I had to install spacers behind my wheel bearing hub and caliper and installed spacers… read more
Kevin
Kevin
workshop foreman /master tech/mot tester,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My h3 hummer will not pull onthe rear wheels if something happens
My h3 hummer will not pull onthe rear wheels if something happens to the front differential . can you by pass the so it will pull on the rear axle . this has happen to me twice… read more
Gary
Gary
wheel speed, it was a after market wheel bearing..stop at slow speed
Put a new abs line on for wheel speed, it was a after market wheel bearing , it got broke so I put a om part on. Now went I come to A stop at slow speed the Abs starts at abut 5 to10 miles an hour.… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
ford windstar: abs light comes on sometimes when I hit large bumps
I have a 97' ford windstar, and the abs light comes on sometimes when I hit large bumps in the Rd. What would cause this?… read more
Tim West
Tim West
Service Manager,
Computer/ Automotive certifications
2007 Mazda: replacement procedure, please advise Mazda mechanic
2007 Mazda MX 5 front wheel bearing replacement procedure, please advise Mazda mechanic. Thank you!… read more
Mauricio
Mauricio
Front wheels and rear wheels I can not find senssor for the abs system
2005 pick-up truck with abs in front wheels and rear wheels I can not find senssor for the abs system. Help Me please.… read more
Retired,
N/A
started hearing a buzzing or grinding type sound in the front
I recent.y started hearing a buzzing or grinding type sound in the front of my car. I took it to a mechanicand he claims to have fixed it. he said that something pertaining to the front wheels was so … read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
abs sensor..front hub..local dealer..left front sensor was bad
I used this forum last week to find out if an front ABS sensor could be replaced without replacing front hub as the local dealer said that was the only way they replaced sensors. The computer diagnose… read more
Elated Technician
Elated Technician
Service Technician,
Associates in Automotive and Diesel
i hit a curb and now my car makes a loud noise on the ...
i hit a curb and now my car makes a loud noise on the driver''s side...i replaced the steering bolt because it broke...but the noise continues...what else could be the problem… read more
MikeB85
MikeB85
ASE Certified Technician,
Hello.I have a 2003 IMPALA LS(29,00 miles). About a month ...
Hello.I have a 2003 IMPALA LS(29,00 miles). About a month ago, my ABS,"Traction Control Off" and SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL lights came on.The SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL light goes off after a few minutes… read more
"Super Dave" Forrest
"Super Dave" Forrest
Automotive Technician,
1995 Chevrolet G20: rotors,and bearings on..brake light..leaks
I have a 1995 Chevrolet G20 Van.I just put front pads,rotors,and bearings on and the anti-lock brake light now comes on and stays on.The fluid is full and there is no visible signs of leaks.Any ideas … read more
Auto Technician,
2004 alero: warning lights..Traction control..front wheels..V6
warning lights on a 2004 alero keep coming on, anti lock, Traction control (off light) and service vechical soon. we have had it in 3 times , this will be number 4 and they can't figure it out, new ma… read more
Brian
Brian
Automotive Service Consultant/Technician,
Bachelor Degree
Ford mustang: v6..on and the traction control warning light turned
i have a 2003 v6 ford mustang and the (abs)warning light just turned on and the traction control warning light turned on as well, and have stayed on. I wonder what could it be please answer thank you… read more
Tech501
Tech501
Lead Technician,