Car

2004 saab: The heater fan speed has a mind of its own

Customer Question
I have a 2004 saab...
I have a 2004 saab 93. The heater fan speed has a mind of its own. It runs as fast as it wants to and sometimes runs after the key is taken out of the ignition. This resulted in a flat battery after work yesterday. Was a little [email protected]*ed off to say the least. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Mark.... Read full answer
Mark.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2009
Auto Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, under the dash right alond side of the blower motor is a small computer per say that conrols the fan speeds. When they go bad, the fan may run all the time or not at all or act odd as well. I suspect you need the blower controller. Not hard to replace once you locate the bottom of the blower motor as it is mounted basically right on the bottom of the blower. It is the dark black item in pic below

Control Unit, Ventilation Fan, ACC (220b)

Main function
Along with input from the ACC unit, the control unit controls the speed of the ventilation fan motor.

Type
The control unit contains electronics which receive and process the ACC unit's control signal with regards XXXXX XXXXX speed. The control unit grounds the ventilation fan motor and controls fan speed by increasing or decreasing the power supply. Control unit diagnostics occur on the ACC unit input and the outputs to the ventilation fan motor.

Connection
The fan control unit contains two connectors; a four-pin connector connected to the ACC unit and a two-pin connector which is directly-connected to the ventilation fan motor.

Four pin connector.

B+ feed to control unit pin 4 from fuse 23 (fuse board 22) and is connected to ground through pin 1 on grounding point G41.

Fan speed is controlled from ACC unit pin 5 (K32) through control unit pin 3 with a 2 kHz PWM.

Fan control unit pin 2 is connected to ACC unit pin 25 (K32) with a return feed for diagnostics information. The control unit sends a 2 kHz PWM to the corresponding fan speed input. If a fault is detected, the control unit sends the indicated pulse ratio and the ACC unit generates the relevant DTC.

Two-pin connection to the ventilation fan motor.

The control unit is mounted in such a way that its two-pin voltage and ground connector are directly connected to the ventilation fan motor.

The fan motor is connected to ground through the fan control unit on grounding point G41. Fan motor speed is controlled by th

graphic

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Cheers XXXXX XXXXX mate. I forgot to mention that it has the standard air con not the climate control. Will It need the same unit?

Sorry for delay but stepped away today. The same thing but slightly different location. I should have asked also. the pic below shows location just next to blower motor, dark black item

graphic

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
2003 Isuzu Rodeo: type noise..it ran fine...Ive heard it before & it
2003 Isuzu Rodeo. I heard a fan type noise in the morning, but it ran fine...Ive heard it before & it was the heat at that time, so I thought nothing of it. Later that day I went to turn the key, it n… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
1999 saab: turbo..blower motor stays on even after remove key.
1999 saab 9-3 turbo. blower motor stays on even after remove key. only way to stop it is to remove fuse. i am reposting this question since the expert who previosly answrd it kind of left me hangin. i… read more
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard
Owner / Technician,
2000 saab: The heater only works when I..bump..drivers seat..adjust
I have a 2000 saab 93. The heater only works when I hit a speed bump and then occasionally. 2nd question: The drivers seat back will not adjust and I am riding like a gangster, very uncomfortable. The… read more
Jim Chill
Jim Chill
Stop searching for answers—
Car Question for Mazda Ed...93 Protege 4cyl 1.8L 5 speed..
Car Question for Mazda Ed...93 Protege 4cyl 1.8L 5 speed.. Am running this Grand Old Sled (GOS) on e85 alcohol with very good results. When outside temperature is below 50 degrees the starter is taxed… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
1994 saab 900 se: V6..heater fan works when the engine..indicator
My 1994 saab 900 se V6 heater fan works when the engine is not runnung. When engine is started, the fan indicator shows the speed, but the fan is not running. Heater code "1" appears when recalibratin… read more
Matthew Spearman
Matthew Spearman
2001 saab: smell..parked..ac started blowing smoke from one vent
i have a 2001 saab 93. the ac started to smell like something was burning when i parked the car. I got back in a few minutes later. After driving a couple of miles,the ac started blowing smoke from on… read more
saabspecialist
saabspecialist
Auto Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a 2000 SAAB 93. In the last few years it has sporadically
I have a 2000 SAAB 93. In the last few years it has sporadically failed to start. The dash lights up, the radio comes on, but the ignition does not engage. When this happens, I turn off the radio and … read more
Automotive Diagnostic Specialist,
General auto certifications
1999 Saab: coolant fans run..crankshaft position..thermostat is bad
When should the coolant fans run on my 1999 Saab 9-5? I was having trouble with it starting when the motor was warm and replaced the crankshaft position censor per Saab but not sure this fixed it 100%… read more
Master Mechanic,
Saab: ignition lock..99% Positive Feedback on 329 Car Accepts..Diesel
(1)I want to access the answer about the Saab ignition lock, question posed by Jason, on 1/21/09, which is what you offered for $3. However, if you can't do that, say so (and why you offer?), and I wi… read more
Elated Technician
Elated Technician
Service Technician,
Associates in Automotive and Diesel
Saab 93: keyless..Alarm light on dash is flashing..Locks..inoperative
Saab 93 2004 Arc - Just locked the car with keyless lock system. Alarm light on dash is flashing but now I can't open the car. Locks are inoperative... help! What can I do to open the car?… read more
Mr Diag
Mr Diag
Wagon: saab..check engine light..light went..the water temp gauge is
I have a 2000 9.5 aero saab wagon. It has had an on again of again check engine light issue. I noticed the water temp gauge was intermittent...so i changed it and the light went out and the water temp… read more
Elated Technician
Elated Technician
Service Technician,
Associates in Automotive and Diesel
2201 Cadillac DeVille: trouble with my air condition..sporadically
I own a 2201 Cadillac DeVille with a north-star engine. I have had trouble with my air condition for several years. It comes on sporadically. Sometimes it will come on and sometimes it will not. It ha… read more
michael
michael
Stop searching for answers—
1996 buick riviera: Engine runs..security system..dealership../chip
I have a 1996 buick riviera (141,000mi), engine extremely clean. Engine runs great...except I have been having problems with the security system. I spent $700 at dealership replacing keys/chip, etc. I… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
1998 jetta: 2.0 5speed loses power at about 4000 rpm..headlights
1998 jetta 2.0 5speed loses power at about 4000 rpm also headlights do not work will come on if you extend the key past run but not to start… read more
Max
Max
VW lead technician,
1993 gmc: run hot..diff..the same without thermostate runs great
i have a 1993 gmc 1500 4.3v6 just put in new engine and with thermostate it run hot i put in to diff new thermos still the same without thermostate runs great ?????? please help… read more
joseph carrillo
joseph carrillo
automotive drivability tech,
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and the cooling fans run ...
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and the cooling fans run continuously,even when the car is cold,just started. Why is this?… read more
John Miller
John Miller
I attempted to crank up the ol AC but had a slight problem..idled
After entering my car today, I attempted to crank up the ol AC but had a slight problem. I turned the fan motor on to maximum speed, but after a second or two, the fan idled back to about 1/4 speed al… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,
92 neon: car shuts..cooling system..this ok, no leaks, fans come
I have a 92 neon, that we have a engine that is getting too hot and the car shuts off, we have had the cooling system checked all of this ok, no leaks, fans come on and the car doesnt overheat...if we… read more
bestservices
bestservices