Terry S. Trent
Terry S. Trent, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Associates Degree Automotive Technologies
26393954

99 Infiniti QX4: hood..pulley..the serpentine belts replaced , he

Customer Question

I have a '99 Infiniti QX4, I have a chirping noise under the hood, at my last oil change I asked the mechanic he said the sound is sometimes a pulley or belt noise... so I had the serpentine belts replaced , he then said it may take care of the noise but it didn't its' still there, can you give me some idea as to what it can be, i've only owned the vehicle since '07?
Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Terry S. Trent replied 7 years ago.

If you took this car to a mechanic and he replaced the serpentine belt and gave it back to you with the same chirping noise he should not be allowed to work on cars...

There is no way we can figure out a chirping noise over the internet. You need take this vehicle to a competent shop and have it diagnosed properly. Thats is the only way, even if I were to give you a list of possibilities it wouldnt fix the noise and there are way to many possibilities.

If you want open the hood while the engine is running, get a cup of reguar water, slowly pour the cup of water on the serpentine belt. If the noise goes away its the belt. If the noise does not go you need take it to a shop...

It could be a/c compressor clutch, idler pulley's, it has to be (physicaly looked at)

Thank you...