Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

1998 mazda protege: stop light..battery or alternator..car runs fine

When I turn on the lights when I drive a 1998 Madza Protege, when the car is idle at a stop light I hear a loud noise from my timing belts. I am not sure if the problem is the battery or alternator because it only happens when the lights, heat or A/C is in use. When these systems are off, the car runs fine.
Hi,how are you?You hear the noise from the drive belts or timing belt?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I not able to tell because it happens when the car is idle. When I put the car in "Park" and check under the hood, the noise stops.
I work on protégé a lot and have personally have owned several,the noise you are describing is coming from the ac compressor.I have experienced this a lot,this noise will occur at idle the most.This noise will also occur even when the ac is not engaged.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Mike, how do I fix the problem?

The compressor would have to be replaced in order to cure this problem.Some people decide to just live with the sound,due to the fact that these compressors are generally really expensive.Also of course from my experience with these vehicles and the problem you are describing and the sound this is what i believe your issue is.But you still need to have someone look and listen to the compressor to confirm this,since i am unable to do this over the computer.Thank you.