Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My 2002 lincoln navigator will not start. It will not turn

Customer Question
and I don't hear the...
My 2002 lincoln navigator will not start. It will not turn and I don't hear the clicking noise of the starter. I can turn on the lights, radio, CD and the door chimes when I open it. What is the issue?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
12/1/2009
Auto Mechanic: Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic

Hi,how are you?The starter will not click all the time when it is bad,sometimes it will not make a noise at all,my suggestion would be to locate the starter and tap on it with a hammer while someone is trying to start the vehicle.If it turns out not to be the starter,i am still going to help you try to track down the problem,but lets start here first.

Not sure on where the starter is located.

The starter is on the bottom side of engine and transmission,under the car.Here is the removal process and testing.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:
    NOTE To disconnect the hard-shell connector from the solenoid S terminal, grasp the plastic shell and pull off; do not pull on the wire. Pull straight off to prevent damage to the connector and S terminal.

Starter terminal cover Terminal nut and separate the battery starter cable from the starter motor Solenoid S terminal connector, if equipped with a starter mounted solenoid
  5. Remove or disconnect the following:

Starter motor retaining bolts Starter motor from the vehicle

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

Starter motor and retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm). Battery starter cable and a terminal nut to the starter motor. Tighten the terminal nuts to 79 inch lbs. (9 Nm). Solenoid S terminal connector, if equipped with a starter mounted solenoid Starter solenoid safety cap, if equipped
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable.
  4. Start the engine several times to check starter motor operation.

Testing & Troubleshooting

Feed Circuit Test

1. Make sure the battery is fully charged.
  2. Disconnect the Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch.
  3. Connect a remote starter switch between the starter solenoid S-terminal and the battery positive (+) terminal.
  4. Connect the Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter positive lead to the battery positive (+) post. Connect negative lead to the starter solenoid M-terminal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Motor feed circuit-S-terminal (1), remote starter switch (2), battery (3), Rotunda 73 digital multimeter (4), B-terminal (5), M-terminal (6)

5. Engage the remote starter switch. Read and record the voltage. The voltage reading should be 0.5 volt or less.
  6. If the voltage reading is 0.5 volt or less, go to the Motor Ground Circuit Component Test.
  7. If the voltage reading is greater than 0.5 volt, indicating excessive resistance, move the Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter negative lead to the starter solenoid B-terminal and repeat the test. If the voltage reading at the B-terminal is lower than 0.5 volt, the concern is either in the connections at the starter solenoid or in the solenoid contacts.
  8. Remove the cables from solenoid B-, S- and M-terminals. Clean the cables and connections and reinstall the cables to the correct terminals. Repeat Steps 3 through 6. If the voltage drop reading is still greater than 0.5 volt when checked at the M-terminal or less than 0.5 volt when checked at the B-terminal, the concern is in the solenoid contacts. Install a new starter motor.
  9. If the voltage reading taken at the solenoid B-terminal is still greater than 0.5 volt after cleaning the cables and connections at the solenoid, the concern is either in the positive (+) battery cable connection or in the positive battery cable itself.
  10. By moving the Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter negative lead toward the battery and checking each mechanical connection point, the excessive voltage drop can be located. When the high reading disappears, the last mechanical point that was checked is the concern. Repair or install a new connection as required.

Ground Circuit Test

A slow cranking condition can be caused by resistance in the ground or return portion of the cranking circuit. Check the voltage drop in the ground circuit as follows:

1. Disconnect the inertia fuel shutoff switch.
  2. Connect a remote starter switch between the starter solenoid S-terminal and the battery positive (+) terminal.
  3. Connect the Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter positive lead to the starter motor housing (the connection must be clean and free of rust or grease). Connect the negative lead to the negative (-) battery terminal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Motor ground circuit-Rotunda 73 digital multimeter (1), battery (2), S-terminal (3), M-terminal (4), B-terminal (5), remote starter switch (6)

4. Engage the remote starter switch and crank the engine. Read and record the voltage reading. The reading should be 0.2 volt or less.
  5. If the voltage drop is more than 0.2 volt, clean the negative cable connections at the battery and body connections, and retest.
  6. If the voltage drop is greater than 0.2 volt, determine which way the current is flowing in the cable.
  7. Connect the Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter positive lead to the end of the cable nearest battery positive.
  8. Connect the multimeter negative lead to the terminal at the other end of the cable.
  9. Crank the engine and observe the voltage reading. The voltage reading should be 0.2 volt or lower. If the voltage drop is too high, clean the terminal ends. Retest, and if still high, install a new cable. If the voltage reading is less than 0.2 volt and the engine still cranks slowly, install a new starter motor.

Voltage Drop Test

WARNING When servicing the starter motor or performing other underhood work in the vicinity of the starter motor, be aware that the heavy gauge battery input lead at the starter solenoid is "electrically hot" at all times.

WARNING A protective cap or boot is provided over the battery input terminal on all vehicle lines and must be installed after servicing. Be sure to disconnect the battery ground cable before servicing the starter motor.

Always make the Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter connections at the component terminal rather than at the wiring end connector. Making a connection at the wiring end connector could result in false readings because the meter will not pick up a high resistance between the wiring connector and the component.

Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic