Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

87 oldsmobile: cranks..wont start..crankshaft sensor..camshaft sensor

Customer Question
I have an 87 oldsmobile...
I have an 87 oldsmobile delta 88. it cranks but won't start. i have replaced the crankshaft sensor (twice after i wrecked the first one), camshaft sensor and the electronic control module. I also had removed the ignition control module and had it tested and it passed completely at O'Rielly Auto Parts. I have the harmonic balancer off right now because i wanted to check the fins behind it to see if i caused any damage when i broke the first crankshaft sensor because it wasn't set right. i tried putting the old crankshaft sensor back on and starting the engine and it backfired pretty hard a couple of times while trying to start it. i then went and got another crankshaft sensor and it had instructions with it that told me how to set it. it is on and not rubbing but the engine just cranks and does not seem to fire at all. i do not have any codes accept the 12 when i put the jumper wire on the computer terminal.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
11/13/2009
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 8 years ago
Pete, Technician
Hello,do you know if you are getting fuel injector pulses to pulse the fuel injectors when the engine is cranking over?when you checked or replaced the cam sensor did you inspect the cam gear for the cam magnet?Thanks pete
I am not positve about the fuel injector pulses. on the camshaft switch all i did was take one switch out and put the other one in. i had to replace it once about 2 or 3 years ago.
ok,remove the camshaft sensor and then with a mirror and flashlight you will have to inspect through the camshaft sensor hole to see if there is a magnet on the camshaft gear,there should be,this magnet is what the cam sensro uses to pulse the fuel injectors,look through this hole and see if its on the gear,you may have to roll the engine over by hand to find it,the housing may be in the gear till for the magnet but the magnets usualy heat up and fall out,if this is the case the timing cover will have to be taken off to replace this magnet.I hope this info helped,if you need anything else lte me know,Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Should i go check for the magnets first or should i accept now and come back later if the magnets are still in the camshaft gear.
you can check first if you want ,it would be best,remember the magnet may look like its there but it may just be the housing for the magnet make sure you look carefully,Thanks Pete,let me know.
after i pulled the camshaft sensor i saw the magnet housing. couldn't get a mirror in but i used a metal pick and when i went close to the housing it definately had a magnetic pull.
since you have already replaced the crank sensro,cam sensor and had the module tested you would figure the car shoud start from here but isnt,have you chcked your spark plugs to see if they are gas fouled out at all(wet with gas).Let me know,Thanks Pete
After further work on my car i discovered that the auto parts store gave me the wrong crankshaft sensor. the one that they gave me was a 4 pin one which i think was used in 89 and later engines. i am now waiting for the right one to come in and will try it. i will let you know if it works. if the new part fixes it i will accept then so you can receive your money. i appreciate all the help that you gave me as it did give me some new things to check like the magnets on the camshaft gear.
your weclome,most likely the new crank sensor should correct this fault since you have already covered everything else,hope my info helped,let me know how it turns out,Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician