Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2005 Kia Sedona: removal and installation of front heater core

Customer Question
need info on removal and...
need info on removal and installation of front heater core on 2005 Kia Sedona
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
11/4/2009
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

The instrument panel must be removed completely in order to replace the heater core.

Components

Disconnect negative battery cable.A-pillar lower trim.
2.Remove driver air bag module.
3.Remove steering wheel, turn signal assembly, and upper/lower column covers.
4.Remove A-pillar upper trim.
5.Remove instrument cluster trim.
A.Remove two screws from instrument cluster trim.
B.Remove instrument cluster trim from mounting space.

6.Remove instrument cluster.
A.Remove four screws from instrument cluster assembly.
B.Disconnect electrical connector from rear of unit.

7.Remove A-pillar lower trim.
A.Remove one fastener from A-pillar lower trim.
B.Unfasten A-pillar lower trim.

8.Remove lower LH panel.
A.Remove hood release handle.
B.Remove one fastener from bottom of panel.
C.Disconnect electrical connector from rear of panel.

9.Remove multi box.
A.Remove mounting screws from instrument panel.
B.Unfasten multi box

10.Remove audio panel.
A.Unfasten ashtray from audio panel.
B.Remove one screw from audio panel.

11.Remove ventilation control panel.
A.Remove four screws from ventilation control panel.
B.Disconnect electrical connector from rear of panel.

12.Remove audio.
A.Remove four screws from front of audio.
B.Remove audio from mounting space.
C.Disconnect electrical connector and antenna cable from rear of unit.

13.Remove glove box.
A.Open glove box.
B.Remove glove box stopper from lower RH panel.
C.Remove four mounting bolts from mounting bracket.

14.Remove center console.
A.Remove select lever boots.
B.Remove five mounting screws.

15.Remove speaker and mounting bolts from top of instrument panel.
16.Remove side cover.
17.Remove mounting bolts from T-bar.
18.Remove mounting bolts from bottom of instrument panel.
19.Disconnect all connectors between the instrument panel and the vehicle bulkhead electrical wire harness.
20.Remove instrument panel.

21.Install instrument panel in reverse order of removal.

Tightening torque : Instrument panel mounting bolt 8~12 N·m (0.8~1.2 kg·m, 5.8~8.7 lb·ft)

airbag/steering wheel:

Removal
1.Disconnect the negative battery cable and keep it secured away from the battery.

Wait at least 30 seconds after disconnecting the battery cable before doing any further work to prevent inadvertent deployment of the airbags.
2.When disconnecting the clock spring connector from the airbag module, pull the locking device on the connector outward and spread it open.

3.When disconnecting the connector of the clock spring from the airbag module, pull the airbag's lock toward the outer side to spread it open.

When disconnecting the airbag module-clock spring connector, take care not to apply excessive force to it.
The removed airbag module should be stored in a clean, dry place with the pad cover face up.
4.Remove the steering wheel.

Do not hammer on the steering wheel. Doing so may damage the collapsible column mechanism, thus reducing the protection to the driver in a frontal crash.
INSPECTION(AIRBAG MODULE)
If any improper parts are found during the following inspection, replace the airbag module with a new one. Dispose the old module according to the specified procedure.
Never attempt to measure the circuit resistance of the airbag module (squib) even if you are using the specified tester. If the circuit resistance is measured with a tester, accidental airbag deployment will result in serious personal injury.
1.Check pad cover for dents, cracks or deformities.
2.Check the airbag module for denting, cracking or deformation.
3.Check hooks and connectors for damage, terminals for defor-mities, and harness for binds.
4.Check airbag inflator case for dents, cracks or deformities.

5.Install the airbag module to steering wheel to check fit or align with the wheel.

INSPECTION(CLCOK SPRING) If, as a result of the following checks, even one abnormal point is discovered, replace the clock spring with a new one.
1.Check connectors and yellow protective tube for damage, and terminals for deformities.

• Place the vehicle-s wheels in the straight ahead position.
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 3 minute for the air bag back-up power supply to deplete its stored energy before continuing.
  • Remove the steering column lower cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the steering column lower cover as shown

• Loosen the four lower steering column cover screws and separate upper and lower steering column covers

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Loosen four lower steering column cover screws and separate upper and lower steering column covers

• Loosen four bolts from steering wheel and remove steering wheel cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Loosen four bolts from steering wheel and remove steering wheel cover

• Detach the horn switch connector.
  • Make an alignment matchmark on the steering wheel and steering shaft for installation purposes.
  • Remove the nut from the end of the steering shaft.
  • Use a suitable puller to remove the steering wheel.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the steering wheel using the proper type of puller-2002-05 models

• Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure
  •  

Remove the heater unit.

REPLACEMENT
    1.Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
    2.Recover the refrigerant with a recovery/ recycling/ charging station. (Refer to HA-8)
    3.When the engine is cool, drain the engine coolant from the radiator.
    4.Remove the bolts (A) and the expansion valve (B) from the evaporator core. Plug or cap the lines immediately after disconnecting them to avoid moisture and dust contamination.

5.Disconnect the inlet (C) and outlet (D) heater hoses from the heater unit.

Engine coolant will run out when the hoses are disconnected; drain it into a clean drip pan. Be sure not to let coolant spill on electrical parts or painted surfaces. If any coolant spills, rinse it off immediately.
    6.Remove the crash pad (Refer to BD group).
    7.Remove the cowl cross bar assembly. (Refer to BD group)
    8.Disconnect the connectors from the temperature control actuator, the mode control actuator and the evaporator temperature sensor.
    9.Remove the heater & blower unit after loosening 3 mounting bolts.

10.Remove the blower unit (B) from heater unit after loosening 2 screws.

11.Remove the heater core (B) after remove the cover (A).

12.Loosen the heater unit mounting screw and clip and then remove the heater unit cover(A).

13.Remove the evaporator core(A).

14.Be careful that the inlet and outlet pipe are not bent during heater core removal, and pull out the heater core.
    15.Installation is the reverse order of removal, and note these items :
    A.If you're installing a new evaporator, add refrigerant oil (ND-OIL8).
    B.Replace the O-rings with new ones at each fitting, and apply a thin coat of refrigerant oil before installing them. Be sure to use the right O-rings for R-134a to avoid leakage.
    C.Immediately after using the oil, replace the cap on the container, and seal it to avoid moisture absorption.
    D.Do not spill the refrigerant oil on the vehicle ; it may damage the paint ; if the refrigerant oil contacts the paint, wash it off immediately
    E.Apply sealant to the grommets.
    F.Make sure that there is no air leakage.
    G.Charge the system and test its performance.
    H.Do not interchange the inlet and outlet heater hoses and install the hose clamps securely.
    I.Refill the cooling system with engine coolant.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager