Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Montero sport: 2000 3.0 6 cyclinder truck, that wont start

I have a montero sport 2000 3.0 6 cyclinder truck, that wont start. battery is good, replaced starter and it fired up 5 or 6 times then wont start again. what is the problem.
So the engine doesnt even turn over? Do you hear or anything when you try to start it? Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It clicks like the starter pin is engaging but that all. I heard of some kind of starter relay, could that be the problem?

If the starter is engaging this means everything is working like it should and possible problems could be a loose connection going from the starter to battery positive or possibly your engine is seized up not allowing the starter to turn. You can use a voltmeter to verify the small terminal on the starter gets voltage when key is in crank position and also make sure the large terminal has voltage at all times. Then you can do a voltage drop test which tells the difference in voltage at two points to let you know if the problem is a loose connection. To do a voltage drop test you put on lead of the voltmeter on battery positive and the other lead on the large terminal at the starter and try to start it. The reading you see on the voltmeter will show the difference in voltages it should be low, if its large then clean or replace the large wire if its low then this means the engine may have seized and you will want to try and turn the engine over by the crank to see if you can you could also try to remove the spark plugs to relieve compression. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the help
I'm happy I was able to help. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again.