Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2001 mazda tribute: ignition issues with the coils not being told

what would make my 2001...
what would make my 2001 mazda tribute have ignition issues with the coils not being told to fire?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/1/2009
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Hi,how are you?Is the check engine light on?
the check engine light came on origionally. it was p0304 or something, ignition on piston 4 error. and its on now but i know why it is now now. i replaced the coil after doing a compression test. it seemed to work great, but when i started it up this morning it was doing the same stuttering it was doing before i replaced the coil. so as it sat there doing the problem, one coil at a time i'd unplug it to see if it was still a coil problem or not. when it was running smooth, each of the 3 would make it stutter. when it was already stuttering, i could unplug all 3 and it didnt make a difference on the way it was running. i would plug them back in and rev it up just a little bit and it would go right to smooth with no stutter at all. also, sitting at idle, when it started to stutter, when i unplugged the air intake sensor(the one right next to the filter) it would smooth out the engine. but of course is needed for its ignition/fuel computing, so it would not like to be reved up a little without it plugged in. and the air filter seems to be pretty new and clean looking.
Ok,from your description of what you have tried and or replaced so far,i am leaning towards an issue with the crankshaft position sensor causing your issue.
do you by chance know how i can test the sensor, without just buying a new one and installing it?
Yes,you can remove it from the vehicle,and can take it to a local parts store such as auto zone,and they can test it for free,before your purchase of a new one.

do you know of a website that has an electrical diagram that shows me where it is so i can do it? you are being helpfull right now, so if this helps me fix it, i promise i'll hit accept and figure out how to come back here and accept for you again so you get twice the amount for it..

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Engine Control System (3.0L) (2001)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Click image to see an enlarged view

Be sure to look at each diagram they might look the same but each one is different.

those pictures seem like they will help alot, but they are too small of an image for me to see them. is there a more zoomed/closer in image?

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Engine Control System (2.0L) (2001)

I tried to make them larger,but it will not let me,i am not sure about another web site,that you can go to,one option is to go to a local parts store and see if they can print you out a diagram for your vehicle.

thanks for that idea. heck, i'll call a few of the places up and find out what they can do.

Ok good luck to you,thank you.
well its interesting. this afternoon when ashley got off work and headed home...it drove completely smooth and fine....and for a good hour before we parked it was no problem. is there a thermometer other than in the coolant that determines temps for fuel injection and coil activation?
Hi,i know that you allready know what the check engine light is on for,but when is the last time you had the codes read,just want to make sure there is not any new ones.The crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor are the sensors that control spark and fuel.
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
can i just go to a shop and have them plug in a sensor guage(sp?) to check? its wierd though...problems this morning, but i cant do anything that makes a problem after it warmed up this afternoon.
Yes,you can run by a shop,and have them run that diagnostic on the vehicle to let you know for sure.
well i'm gonna find out tomorrow if i can. if it works out though i am for sure gonna hit accept for the bill still. your ideas are helping my lack there of.....
Ok,no problem
sorry this is taking so long. i'm still getting tests done but i had a dumbly long day at work today and didnt do much like i should have.
No problem,take your time.
turns out it was a collapsed vacume line on the darn thing that was causing the problem. darn thing anyways. just got this message iin my e-mail so i figured i would say thanks for your help again. have a good day!
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic