RICK
RICK, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 YEARS GM DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE, JUST A FEW TESTS BEFORE GM WORLD CLASS STATUS
13057657

1980 Oldsmobile 98 Regency: steps to replace the rear window..heated.

What are the steps to replace the rear window in my 1980 Oldsmobile 98 Regency? It is heated. What special tools, if any, are required?
Category: Car
Expert:  RICK replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

no too difficult, does car have vinyl top, and or molding around window on out side, and do they overlap on corners and bottom center

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not sure if this will be a duplicated response . . . but yes the 1980 Olds 98 Regency has a vinyl top. The vinyl of the top wraps right around the edges of the window opening right up to the outside of the glass. There is no metal moulding on the outside. However, there is a metal moulding all around the window on the inside, about 2 inches wide.
Hope this helps. /Bud
Expert:  RICK replied 7 years ago.

hi,

best way with vinyl top is to cut out from inside, removing inside trim and with razor knife cut they urethane bead of adhesive sealant to get glass out, clean off all excess sealant, and apply glass primer to glass and bead of urethane around opening and set glass into place, reinstall inside window trim. urethane sealant and primer about $30 at parts store, note most glass shops charge about $60 to $80 to install new window just for your info, case you think it might be too difficult or time consuming.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
To Rick, so on this 1980 Olds 98 the window DOES install from the inside? The 2 glass shops I contacted in my community led me to believe it installed from the outside. How would I remove the inside mouldings around the window? There are no screws obvious.
Expert:  RICK replied 7 years ago.

HI,

WINDOW INSTALLS FROM OUTSIDE BUT HAVE TO CUT ADHESIVE FROM INSIDE,

MOLDINGS ARE CLIPPED ON PLASTIC RETAINER CLIPS SOME COULD BREAK TRYING TO REMOVE, THEY DO MAKE A HOOK TOOL TO HELP DISENGAGE CLIPS BUT CAN'T FIND PICTURE OF IT, THIS SHOULD BE CLIP

Metal Clip-Garnish Interior...