Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

2003 Mazda 6: sound coming..accelerate..low rpms and then cuts..revs

I own a 2003 Mazda 6 2.3l manual. I just noticed some rattling sound coming from the engine each time i accelerate. The sound is usually there under low rpms and then cuts out as the revs go higher.
I researched for similar problems on the web and seem like a common problem for most owners. Many ppl are suggesting three problems which can cause this sound, drive belt tensioner, purge valve and some sort of an exhaust valve. From what i can see these are not major problems other then driver annoyance and won't cause a major damaged to your engine. Is this correct? Would the above items I mentioned cause the rattling sound (more like sound of shaking a tin can with a few screws in it).
Your help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jay.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

The drive belt tensioner noise is more of a squeal or high pitched whine. The purge valve is a low thudding type of noise more like a card in bicycle wheel spokes. Not sure what exhuast valve you are referring to.

It could be a problem with the variable tumble control system. You can remove the hose from the VTCS and see if the noise goes away. If it does then you will need to replace the intake manifold to get rid of the noise.