Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

1996 oldsmobile achieva: running hot..theres..hooked somthing..flushed

1996 oldsmobile achieva, engine was just switched out because there was water in the oil, it was peanutbuter colored, now the engine is ok i think, but its running hot and the coolant looks like theres oil in it now, what can cause oil to get in the coolant, im hoping he just hooked somthing up wrong or it needs to be flushed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
Is there a lot of oil or just a little in the coolant? Is the coolant full?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i think a lot of oil is in there, it looks like melted candle wax inside the resevior that you poor the coolant into, its over the fill line almost completely full, when the car was brought back supposedly fixed the guy ran it for a while and we drove it around the block and it was fine, but when my son got in it and headed to work he only made it about a mile from the house and it overheated

Expert:  Daryl replied 7 years ago.
It may be over heating because the shop did not get all of the air out of the cooling system (this is very common) I would return it to the shop to see if they can try to get the air out and to get the cooling system flushed.