Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2004 Kia Sorento: 000 miles..a new clutch..replacing..transfer case

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Kia...
I have a 2004 Kia Sorento. It has 125,000 miles on it. I was told I need a new clutch (2nd time replacing) and now I have problems with the transfer case. They can't tell me specifically because they have to check it when they are fixing the clutch. I looked at the specs and it has an electronic transfer case. I've never seen any leaks but it does make a noise while accelerating. The clutch alone will be $1,900.   I was never told to maintain the transfercase fluid.   Should I just forget fixing this vehicle?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car
9/10/2009
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

According to copy of owner's manual I have, the front differential(transfer case), along with the rear differential fluid should be changed every 45,000 miles:

graphic

As far as fixing the vehicle or trading it in, first, I would recommend shopping around on price for the clutch repair. $1900 is on the high side. You should be looking at $1000-1200 for this repair. Most independent shops have lower hourly labor rates and their techs are as qualified as the dealership, so you should be able to save quite a bit by shopping around.

On the transfer case, you may want to try having the fluid changed first and see if that quietens it down. Even with the whining, you may be able to get another 50-60,000 miles out of it before absolutely having to have it repaired.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager