1969LSCamaro
1969LSCamaro, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech with Advanced Level (L1) - 20 Years Exp. with multiple makes of vehicle
18658490

2000 MAZDA: THE DRIVERS SIDE TOOK..GARAGE..REAR SUSPENSION..OFF.

MY DAUGHTER HAD AN ACCIDENT WITH MY 2000 MAZDA PROTEGE. SHE SKIDDED SIDWAYS AND THE REARWHEEL ON THE DRIVERS SIDE TOOK A DIRECT HIT WITH A CONCRETE CURB. THE GARAGE AT THE LOCAL MAZDA DEALER INFORMED ME THAT THE ENTIRE REAR SUSPENSION WAS A WRITE OFF. THEY SAID THEY COULD GET A RECYCLED REAR END FROM THE AUTO RECYCLERS AND THAT IT WOULD KEEP THE COST OF REPAIR DOWN. I HAD A NEW STRUT, BRAKE LINES, & EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLES INSTALLED. THEY TURNED THE DRUMS TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE STILL GOOD AND THE CAR WAS RETURNED $1500.00 LATER.
     THE PROBLEM IS THERE IS A LOUD TICKING IN THE REAR PASSANGER SIDE WHEEL. ESPECIALLY WHEN I APPLY THE BRAKES OR MAKE A LEFT TURN. THEY HAVE SINCE REPLACED THE DRUM AND SHOE ON THAT SIDE AND I STILL HAVE THE NOISE.
     COULD IT BE THE USED SUSPENSION???? I AM THINKING IT MAY BE THE WHEEL BEARING HUB ASSEMBLY???? . THEY USED THE ONE OFF OF THE RECYCLED PARTS AND NO LONGER HAVE MY ORIGIONAL. I AM GUESSING THEY ARE RELUCTANT TO ADMIT THIS.

HAVE YOU EVER RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM, OR KNOW WHAT MAY BE CAUSING THIS NOISE ????

THANKS
Hello, does the noise change speed with vehicle speed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YES. I HAVE COASTED DOWNHILL WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND THE NOISE INCREASES IN SPEED WITH THE THE CAR
By any chance, does the noise lessen or go away with some application of the emergency brake while rolling?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
O.K. SORY IT TOOK SO LONG TO GET BACK TO YOU BUT I HAD TO TEST OUT YOUR QUESTION. AS I WAS COASTING DOWN A VERY LONG HILL THE NOISE WAS PRESENT AS I APPLIESD THE NORMAL BRAKES. WHEN I APPLIED THE EMERGENCY BRAKE THE CAR KEPT GOING. I APPLIED IT FULLY AN STILL NEEDED TO APPLY THE REGULAR BREAKS TO COME TO A STOP. ( BUT) AS I WAS APPLING THE EMERGENCY BRAKE THE NOISE BECAME LOUDER AND MORE ROUGHER SOUNDING. I DID THIS 3 OR 4 TIMES AND NOW THE SOUND IS NO LONGER PRESENT WHEN I APPLY THE NORMAL BRAKES. THE EMERGENCY BRAKE WILL STOP THE CAR FROM COASTING AWAY WHEN STOPPED BUT ONLY SLOWS ME DOWN WHEN DRIVING. EVEN IF I APPLY IT FULL AND QUICK. NOT EVEN A SQUEAL
OK - The noise is gone when braking, but it is still there just driving?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
DOES NOT SEEM TO BE BUT IT WAS THAT WAY BEFORE I USED THE EMERGENCY BRAKE. WHEN I DROVE IT WOULD NOT MAKE THE NOISE SOMETIMES BUT USUALLY IT WOULD. I WILL GO FOR ANOTHER DRIVE IF YOU CAN GIVE ME 5 MINUTES. PLEASE ASK FOR MORE INFO SO I CAN UPDATE YOU OF MY DRIVE.
Drive Update
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

NO NOISE WHILE DRIVING. NO NOISE WHEN BRAKING. EMERGENCY BRAKE SLOWS CAR WITH CONSTANT ROUGH SOUND.THEY NEED TO BE ADJUSTED NOW. (MINOR)

WHAT DO YOU THINK

It sounded like the lever self-adjuster was loose and creating the tick - I would have a reputable repair shop take a visual of the rear brake springs to make sure they are all OK and not damaged - the growl may be from a self-adjuster spring hanging or a vibration through the cable. If all is OK, have them do an adjustment. Thanks, Dave.